Silicate calculation for T. Weissflogii culture

  • Thread starter Thread starter BitR0t
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BitR0t

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, trying to start a Thalassiora Weissflogii culture, but I am not sure how much silicate to add. I got the starter culture from reef legends, and they recommend 2ml/gallon of their 18% water glass solution.

I thought I would just use the Brightwell “SpongeExcel” product I have on hand. It states that 1ml will raise 1 gallon water by 4ppm of silicate.

Any idea how I can convert one of these into the other? Or if someone just knows a good dosing regimen of “SpongeExcel” in T. weissfloggi that works too lol.

My culture is 1/2 gallon.

Thanks!
 
18% water glass has a density of about 1.15 g/mL.

2 mL thus weighs 2.3 g and since it is 18% water glass, it is about 18% SiO2 by weight, and it contains about 0.41 g SiO2.

If you put that into 2 gallons = 7.6 liters, the concentration is about 0.41g/7.6 L = 0.054 g/L or 54 mg/L = ppm.

You’d need 54/4 = about 14 times the Brightwell dose to match it.
 
Oh maybe I had just had an “oh duh” moment. 18% solution would just be 180,000 ppm, and the brightwell solution says minimum 15,000 ppm, so basically I need 12x more brightwell than the 18% stuff. I hope I’m not oversimplifying and forgetting about bonds or something… it’s been a minute since I did math with chemicals.
 
18% water glass has a density of about 1.15 g/mL.

2 mL thus weighs 2.3 g and since it is 18% water glass, it is about 18% SiO2 by weight, and it contains about 0.41 g SiO2.

If you put that into 2 gallons = 7.6 liters, the concentration is about 0.41g/7.6 L = 0.054 g/L or 54 mg/L = ppm.

You’d need 54/4 = about 14 times the Brightwell dose to match it.
Thank you for coming to my rescue @Randy Holmes-Farley
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new