Silicate dosing, how to mix with water?

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some 40% water glass to start dosing silicates in an attempt to battle Amphidinium dinos. 80g tank and plan is to dose 2ml per day. Problem is it instantly precipitates when it hits the water and doesn’t seem to dissolve at all. I then read to mix it into some rodi water first, but having the same issue. It’s just a cloud of precipitated particles floating around in the water that eventually all settle on the bottom and doesn’t dissolve?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Si doesn't really precipitate. The cloudy precipitate is mostly Mg and isn't a big concern. Most any high pH additive will do the same in tank water.

I found if I add my Si dose right in front of a powerhead, the cloudy precipitate dissipates almost immediately.
If you want to dilute it in a few cups of water first, that's fine too.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an automatic magnetic stirrer that I bought on Amazon. I let it stir for 1-2 minutes in 200 ml rodi water and add it. If it precipitates, use a little more rodi water.

This is a really good buy as you will use it to mix many products like magnesium, AFR, sodium silicate or anything, really.

The price is in CAD so less in USD :

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

3128650E-E16B-4A48-92C7-551304C17C49.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never diluted mine, but it’s a fine thing to do if you find it useful.

As noted, the initial precipitate of magnesium hydroxide should redissolve as it mixes in. Add to a high flow area away from corals.

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured out my error. I initially tried mixing it in a cup of water from the tank, which caused it to all precipitate, I then poured a bunch of RODI water into that glass thinking it would help dissolve it (I never did end up dissolving and I just dumped out out later). Today I mixed it with *only* RODI water and it mixed in just fine when I put it into the tank.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back