Silicone around bulkheads?

reefsmitty

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
34
Location
los angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently drilled three holes in my aquarium, 2 for overflow and 1 for return. Didn’t crack the tank, but there are some surface level chips and uneven edges around the holes. I’m worried this will compromise a water tight seal with the bulk head. I was thinking about adding some silicone on the inside of the rubber o-ring of the bulkhead in order to create a better seal. Would this work or should I not worry about the minor chips and rough edges?
Thanks
 
Those chips won’t affect the seal. The sealing happens across the entire surface area of the gasket and if you look closely at the gasket there are usually some raised ridges that are seal barriers. These ridges are likely further out than any of your chips. Silicone can be used and I know of at least one person on here who disagrees with me, but I recommend against it since there is a possibility that you create channels in the seal that could leak. The gaskets are not intended to be used with any other sealant.
 
Silicone can cause your seal to come out or deform when tightening the bulkhead. As stated above, as long as the chips don't extend out past the seal, you should be good
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new