maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad lighting....

C2A0944A-1C93-4500-B751-85AE216380EF.jpeg

Amazing build and DIY skills.
I'm having a small reactor made and appreciate if you could elaborate on how you glue the cylinder into the flat base? do you make a circular grove for it to go in for better support or just glue on the base? also can you tell what are those small acrylic pieces around the base next to the cylindre? are those for suppoort?
one last question do you thread the fittings directly in the cylindre body or add a piece of threaded acrylic to make the thread in? Sorry for the million questions.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically route a circular groove into the flat base that will accept the cylinder. I always practice on a piece of plywood first to make sure the cylinder fits precisely into the groove. The 1/2" square acrylic blocks are just for additional support/strength - probably not necessary but peace of mind for me. I do mostly tap the threads directly into the base or the cylinder; though in this case for the 3/4" circulation plumbing I used bulkheads. If you do it directly, make sure to use some kind of tap lubricant. Would be a bummer to crack the cylinder.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m liking the trident. I’m ok with testing 2/4 times per day - $23 per month for reagents seems ok to me. After running for a few days, I did the calibration. Didn’t make much difference as apparently the units are calibrated before they leave the factory. I did use some of the remaining calibration solution in my alkalinity checker. Solution claims alk of 8.4 which read 9.4 in the checker ..... hmmmn. Assuming the trident is accurate, then clearly my checker has not been. Precision is more important than absolute accuracy, but still.

Last edited:

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Hanna checker has always read .5dkh less than what Trident reads, that’s been consistent for 5 months now. The trident has the accurate number & the Hanna checker is out of whack but at least the Checker is consistently out of whack.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my 'complaints' with apex is the frequency of false positives ….. alerts that trigger based on faulty or fouled sensors. Probably 95% of my alerts are false positives. BUT, it's the 5% that makes the rest tolerable. Yesterday my 'water on floor' alert was screeching. Usually, this time of year, it's moisture/condensation on the basement floor (bare concrete). So that is what I figured it was - only none of the paper towels under the sensors were damp. Hmmn! Turned out that one of the bulkheads on my external ghost-style overflow had developed a drip. Curious that this would happen after 18 months, but putting a wrench on it clearly the nut had worked itself loose. Usually I periodically check bulkhead nuts, but the one sunder the overflow are just so hard to get to.

U

User1

View Badges
One of my 'complaints' with apex is the frequency of false positives ….. alerts that trigger based on faulty or fouled sensors. Probably 95% of my alerts are false positives. BUT, it's the 5% that makes the rest tolerable. Yesterday my 'water on floor' alert was screeching. Usually, this time of year, it's moisture/condensation on the basement floor (bare concrete). So that is what I figured it was - only none of the paper towels under the sensors were damp. Hmmn! Turned out that one of the bulkheads on my external ghost-style overflow had developed a drip. Curious that this would happen after 18 months, but putting a wrench on it clearly the nut had worked itself loose. Usually I periodically check bulkhead nuts, but the one sunder the overflow are just so hard to get to.

Things have a way of coming loose I guess. I remember many years ago when stationed overseas attending one of my FTD classes on the F-15. I remember asking a question to the instructor about something similar. I was like why am I safety wiring a nut on this Aim-9 launcher when I just torqued it to 1400 lbs. Her response was because I said so - which made me feel like an idiot for asking at the time - but then she smiled and said sorry - I'm teasing but to be honest it is in the tech data and T.O. and we follow those first. Second when the plane is flying we don't want something to come loose and cause a issue. Lots of cannon plugs, nuts, bolts, are all safety wired using different gauge of course.

Fair enough I said. What you learn at 18, right? Anyway learned something that day then the next when we all went through the manual drills she smiled again and said put the safety wire tool down. We only do this by hand...ugh!

Anyway unrelated I guess but I do check my bulk head fittings and a few other things because, well, things do come loose. Probably why I re-torque my lug nuts about once a month.

U

User1

View Badges
I’m liking the trident. I’m ok with testing 2/4 times per day - $23 per month for reagents seems ok to me. After running for a few days, I did the calibration. Didn’t make much difference as apparently the units are calibrated before they leave the factory. I did use some of the remaining calibration solution in my alkalinity checker. Solution claims alk of 8.4 which read 9.4 in the checker ..... hmmmn. Assuming the trident is accurate, then clearly my checker has not been. Precision is more important than absolute accuracy, but still.

Still looking here. I've tried a couple days this week starting at 0745 and stop around 0815 PST but found nothing. Maybe next week.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a spawning event in the tank last night. Happens a couple of times a year, always within a few hours of the lights going down. Tank gets cloudy, the skimmer loses its foam head and the tanks gets that wet dog smell. I generally don’t do much other than replacing the GAC if it’s a bit old.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get my Bill Wann built heat exchanger/control board in the next week or so. Well water to cool the system; hot water heater to heat it (don't have to worry about heat for a few months though). Will be the tank 'project' for the Summer. Always looking for an opportunity to break out the blow torch :eek::eek:.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on a mission to make maintenance in my mad-scientist sump room a little easier - for those disappointed, it'll still look insane (aesthetics be danged!!!). Redid the skimmer and the CaRx; now the dosing station. Even though I do run the CaRx, I like to have the ability to still dose as needed. I wanted to consolidate the dosing containers into a single, accessible station with float switches in each container. Here it is about half done.

IMG_2105.jpg

My teenaged sons are weightlifting 'animals' ….. always giving me grief about not joining them. HAH! Using the plates now :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one teeny, tiny problem .... one of the floats needs to be torqued down a bit only my hand is too chunky to get down into the smaller tubes. Always something ....

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking clean and great.
How big are these cylinders?

I guess that for example Strontium/Iodine, these will last like forever?!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back