Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by ca1ore, Oct 10, 2017.
About to switch from my current 265 to a 450. Here is progress so far (2 months work in pictures).
Current tank ..... waaay too full
.... and onto the stand.
Modular marine drain, a modified bean .....
Lighting - four Radion XW30 Gen4 Pro; 3 kessil 360; 4 kessil 160
Main return pump - PanWorld 200
Circulation - 2 MP60; 2 MP40: one Vectra powered CL ..... and a pair of WAV if I need them.
CaRx - Modified MTC ProCal
Skimmer - Modified MTC PowerPro
ATS - DiY
Sump - 150 gallon (old Oceanic tank)
Refugium - 120XH
Frag - 60 gal Deep Blue
RDSB - 20 gal Deep Blue
Heating - three Finnex Titanium 500 waters
Controller - Apex classic and too many modules to list
UV - 40 watt pondmaster
Probably missed something ...... good enough for now.
And wow! How many pipes on the back of that thing!
Holy crap, thats awesome haha. Got more photos? I wanna see how they grew together with so much shading!
Question. Off a bit, but Did that table cart help at all? Clever move. I thought about doing that!
Sub’d Can’t wait to see this progress and see what will become of the 265
Looking awesome so far... when does it get wet?
One of the reasons I went acrylic this time (am a 30 year reefer .... nothing but glass tanks) was because of the weight. Glass tank of this size is 1,200 lbs. give or take. Acrylic much lighter, though still a sizable 575. So I decided to build a cart to move it around more easily. Worked like a charm, though 'driving' the tank down the skinny metal ramp from truck to cart not for the faint of heart. Delivery truck was supposed to have a lift gate, but of course it did not. Fortunately the driver was an amateur power lifter, I kid you not, so between the two of us we got it onto the cart. Were it not for the cart, we wouldn't have been able to do it.
Also bought the lift cart you can see in the photo. Easily cranks up 1,000 lbs.
I'm sure I can find some sucker to take it LOL
I've already done quite a bit of fragging so that the change over goes more smoothly. I like big SPS colonies, so let it get it a bit too out of control. I ended up adding a bunch of Kessil 160's as target lights to help to combat shading. Worked mostly.
I have it test filled in the garage - mostly to make sure the overflow works as anticipated. The change over is Saturday Oct 28th. Got my Rubbermaid tubs all ready. Just have to wash a bunch of sand and pick up some suction cup moving handles.
Oh yeah, and obsess over my floor reinforcements. 1,500 lbs. heavier than the 265.
It's essentially a bean animal drain, I just wanted to have three siphons so I could take advantage of gravity down to my basement fish room. One 1" siphon feeds the ATS, a second the refugium, and third takes what's left into the sump. Then the two standard bean backup 1 1/2" drains. Closed loop is a 1 1/2" suction and two 1" returns.
I figure my PW200 is going to net me about 1,300-1,400 gph, so a single 1 1/2" drain could handle all the flow should all three siphons fail.
Separate names with a comma.