Simon's 450

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by ca1ore, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

Sump (built a while back) ...

IMG_9844.jpg

2. Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Yep... I got a glass 320g, so not far off the same weight... it's a lot! Thankfully it's on a poured concrete floor :)

VelocityTech likes this.
  3. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

Sump system is quite complex. One siphon drains into a 120XH refugium, which in turn drains into the main sump. Also have a 60 gallon frag tank and 20 gallon RDSB that are fed from my manifold pump and drain back to the main sump.

Once the new tank is in, going to redo the water change and quarantine stations.

4. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Awesome sauce!

5. ca1ore

..... and the piece-de-resistance, my 'mad scientist' sump room.

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

6. ca1ore

..... sump system was oversized on purpose to allow me to grow the size of the display without running into any capacity or bio-load problems. Also, not replacing the sump at the same time you replace the display reduces the chances of even a small cycle.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

7. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

Simon, did you take those pics in my basement?

Tahoe61 likes this.
  8. ca1ore

That's very funny! Reefing 'madness' converges ...... it's like hoarders for reefers! BTW, 'grand' prize goes to the person that can spot and identify the oldest piece of gear. There are at least three things that I have had for 15 years (it may even be 20, but the memory fades).

9. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

1. The wall keeping the joists above the sump.
    2. The halide keeping the sticks growing.
    3. The skimmer.

10. ca1ore

#2 yes, #3 no, #1 yes ..... but that's cheating LOL It's actually the calcium reactor (19 years) and then the green pH meter (15).

11. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

So... many... wires... ;Dead

;)

Love all the MTC equipment. Can't wait to see the new tank up and running.

12. ca1ore

Yeah, Leo and Jeff make really top quality stuff - certainly the best I have owned.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h likes this.
  13. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award SCMAS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is gonna be awesome!

14. ca1ore

I will say that the primary reason that I prefer frags (other than them being cheaper) is that when happy, a tank can grow up pretty fast. These pictures are day 1 (October 2103), and then after approximately one year and two years. Tank probably looked its best around the three year mark. Have had to do some pretty significant cutting back since then, thus the 'need' for a bigger tank.

IMG_0277_zps1c1cff87.jpg

IMG_0667_zps33003abe.jpg

IMG_0931_zpsd4205ae6.jpg

LDH likes this.
  15. ca1ore

I have changed/augmented the lighting quite a bit over the four year life of the tank, in part to combat the shading that occurs with larger colonies. About two years ago I started adding Kessil spots (360 and 160), and now have 7 of them. About six months ago, I replaced the Gen1 ReefBreeders lights with Gen4 Radions.

This is the same picture as the one posted last week, about six months ago (give or take)

IMG_0517.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  16. VJV

VJV Well-Known Member

Hey ca1ore, awesome build! Is your canopy on a motorized lift? I am looking for ideas because I want to add one to my system. All the best!

17. ca1ore

No, just hung on chains. I did a lift years ago, but so rarely used it that it wasn't worth the effort. Easy enough to raise manually when necessary.

18. A_game43

A_game43 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Great build, ;)

19. ca1ore

Always end up being a bit paranoid about structural integrity ...... particularly since this tank weighs 4,000 lb plus, will sit above my home office and papa will be human jam if the joists don't hold. Tank sits over a foundation wall (imaging tank as a seesaw over said wall). One end is reinforced with two 4x4 posts (sistered 2x4 actually)that sit under the spots where one end of the tank will be, but I cannot do the same for the other end. Thus .....

IMG_0747.JPG

20. GK3

GK3 Active Member R2R Supporter

Why don’t you just fill the office in with concrete? That should hold it.

Draft saved Draft deleted