Simon's 450

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by ca1ore, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

Also made three new screen covers. I bought a large roll of cicadia netting a while back - vastly superior to any other screen material I have used (including the BRS stuff).

2. VelocityTech

VelocityTech Active Member

Where did you get your flex pvc at?

Everything looks great!!

3. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

Flexpvc dot com. I always get the EZ flow version.

4. ca1ore

Next is to tackle my QT tanks. The one that I keep running permanently has turned into a majano infestation and the other is in an inconvenient place. Going to build a new stand/cabinet for both QT tanks and storage for other crap. Then going to redo the water change system to a continuous AWS.

JerSaint and Maritimer like this.
  5. ca1ore

Stand fully reassembled ..... quite pleased with the look. Couple of fish to move in yet, otherwise essentially complete.

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

dragon99, karo25, LDH and 6 others like this.
  6. ca1ore

...... oh, and two weeks in and haven't scratched it yet LOL

7. tj w

tj w Valuable Member

Great job.. following

8. ca1ore

Having a minor ich breakout on my susceptible fish (mostly the hippo tang). Happened 4 years ago when I did my last change over ..... and to the same hippo LOL. Also the WAV pumps on the back wall are disturbing the sand in front so the tank is slightly hazy (even though I washed the proverbial crap out of it first). This really is a breathtaking tank ..... the extra front to back is excellent ..... not sure how I managed with a 24" deep tank. Plenty of corals, but the tank does look a tad light on fish. Liveaquaria black Friday here I come.

Maritimer and JerSaint like this.
  9. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Wait ...

Liveaquaria does Black Friday?!

~Bruce

JerSaint likes this.
  10. ca1ore

Ah sorry Bruce, got a bit carried away. They have done occasionally, but not always. I have no 'inside info' that anything is in the works, though I do get 15/20% offers in my clutter folder pretty regularly.

Maritimer likes this.
  11. ca1ore

.... in fact, 20% off (today only) just dropped into my inbox.

JerSaint likes this.
  12. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

So it did ... and then I remembered that the holidays are coming up . . . and that my other name is 'Grandpa' . . . (>__<)

~Bruce

Victoria M likes this.
  13. ca1ore

Indeed .... didn't take advantage of it either .....

14. Victoria M

Victoria M Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I look forward to seeing this. I love an awesome fish room!

15. ca1ore

Not sure it's going to be awesome necessarily .... maybe just not as much of an organizational disaster as it is currently.

tj w and Maritimer like this.
  16. ca1ore

Still working on it ....
    Frag tank + small fish QT
    IMG_0826.JPG

QT 'bench' with invert/permanent QT and large fish QT
    IMG_0825.JPG

Going a different way with the water changes - dual tubs and the Apex Dos
    IMG_0824.JPG

Unregistered User and Maritimer like this.
  17. ca1ore

A few random thoughts:

1. For any overflow geeks, and who isn't, pump is pushing 1,440, 400 of which grains down siphon #1 to power the ATS, 300 goes down siphon #2 to feed the external refugium and the remainder goes down siphon #3 to the sump (with a trickle through the open channel). Working like a charm.
    2. The use of black PVC foam sheet to block light from hitting the front panel is also working really well. I get a bit of dust algae on the bottom 6" or so of the front, but nothing above that.
    3. I'm also shading the internal skim box, makes it even harder to see and I'm hopeful that it will prevent coraline buildup that was a problem with my old tank (and frankly a maintenance task I dislike).

Maritimer likes this.
  18. Unregistered User

Unregistered User Active Member

This hurts my brain to even look at, lol. Going to follow your build.

cycled123 and Braves Fan like this.
  19. ca1ore

Yeah it is a wires nest monstrosity. I keep hoping one of my sons will be interested enough to know what everything does, but they just look, shake their heads and go off and do something else. Clearly I've failed as a father LOL.

20. Fizzicks

Fizzicks Active Member

Have you heard of our lord and savior Zip Ties?

Draft saved Draft deleted