Simon's 450

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by ca1ore, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Victoria M

Victoria M Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I saw them, I have been following along. (abd you have actually helped me with advise on RC) But I love fishrooms for some reason.

2. Caliguy1983

Caliguy1983 Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks great! Makes me feel like my 120 gal is a 40 gal breeder!

3. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

There's always a bigger tank ..... lol

BTW, freed that quartet of pyramid butterflyfish pictured in my prior post on Sunday. Social acclimation box is funny; sometimes it works really well other times not. Worked well this time as I saw no aggression at all, not even from the single resident pyramid that is much larger. I do tape a 12x12 mirror tile to the end of the tank which typically keeps the dopey tangs busy posturing with themselves, so that certainly helps.

Swoody likes this.
  4. Swoody

Swoody Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I love Pyramid BFF's.... I think I can get away with a threesome in my upcoming 250g.....Your tank looks excellent and I look forward to the progression posts!

5. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Three month mark ..... mostly going OK. Still having some STN issues here and there. Couple of new fish in QT.

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

S-t-r-e-t-c-h likes this.
  6. ca1ore

In QT ....

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

wowkingjames likes this.
  7. rigo07

rigo07 Member

So I’m trying to upgrade my 180 to 300g tank and have a couple questions did u add the water from the old tank to the new one and sand and corals the same day and added new water to fill it up?

8. ca1ore

Yes, I saved as much of the old water as possible, while making the volume of new water that I anticipated I would need. Out of the old 265 in the morning; back into the new 450 in the afternoon. I did reuse about half of the sand, but not the bottom layers that were over-laden with detritus.

9. rigo07

rigo07 Member

O ok nice did u rinse the sand and u added new live sand.. and u added the sps corals and everything it’s still alive my 180 haves lots of sps and this the first time I have done sps on my tank so I’m I don’t want to kill all them

10. ca1ore

Any new sand was well washed dry sand (if there's a bigger boondoggle in this hobby than 'live' sand, I've yet to encounter it). The reused sand was not rinsed, though in the process of removing it much of the detritus drained out. Probably most would recommend not reusing old sand, but mine contains so much life I wanted to maintain the biodiversity.

As noted, I am having a bit of an issue with STN, though I would attribute that more to alk shifts from needing so much new water. Probably should have adjusted the new water in retrospect.

11. ca1ore

Lots of new fish to introduce over the next few weeks (and my QT system is full):
    1. A dozen yellow tail damsels are ready to go.
    2. Trio of Bartlett anthias in about two weeks
    3. Unicorn tang and emperor angel in about a month.
    4. Have a trio of chalk basslets and some small leopard wrasses that will go in eventually; they need to do a bit of growing first though.
    Still would like to add to my now only pair of bimac anthias. Perhaps a few more fairy wrasses as well.

12. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

everything looks good from the pictures.

how big were the alk shifts, what salt mix are you using

13. flyfish

flyfish Member

Man what a beautiful reef,I would love to fly out there just to stand and stare into the " mad scientist " sump room.I bet you're a hoot to hang out with

14. Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer Active Member R2R Supporter Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Your tank is beautiful and I love your choice of fish.

Some day I will have a tank this size.

15. ca1ore

STN is quite minor, but it is present. Although I suspect that the cause was an alk bump when I did the tank change over (needed almost 200 gallons of new water), I'm a bit surprised it's persisted this long. I use IO, and have for years, though I confess I do not test for alk in the newly made water.

16. ca1ore

Thanks, it's been almost 30 years in the making LOL. I've always been a fish-first reefer; consequently I avoid any corals that are likely to be meals for my angels.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  17. ca1ore

Key word, 'large'. Added a trio of Bartlett anthias and they just swam right out through the eggcrate ends ...... oops. Fortunately, they're more interested infighting with themselves than bothering, or being bothered, by any of the other fish. Will have to rethink the ends for smaller fish in the future.

Maritimer and JerSaint like this.
  18. ca1ore

Feeding frenzy ......

Anyone know why the video quality here (and on youtube) is inferior to the source file on my laptop?

LDH and Maritimer like this.
  19. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

nice video!

What all do you feed and do you feed this much everytime? How often?

20. ca1ore

I feed this quantity of frozen three times a day, sometimes four - mix of brine, Mysis, calanus and fish eggs. I also give a 4x8 sheet of nori every morning and an afternoon pellet snack a couple of times a week. I estimate that it is 10-12 cube-equivalents a day, so export mechanisms to match.

Maritimer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted