OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - pretty happy with the now not-so-new tank.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated to show emperor angel ....

IMG_0907.JPG

Naso Brevirostris will be going in this weekend.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing tank! I love the big sized colonies and completely jealous of that Emperor angel . Congrats!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing tank Simon! just found this thread and got caught up on it. Who built your tank?

I mostly abandoned my build thread over on RC due to difficulty in posting pictures. Tank was built by the chaps at fishtanksdirect down in Florida (based on suggestion from Albano). My first plastic tank, but to my eye excellent build quality ..... and I haven't scratched it .... well, not yet!

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly abandoned my build thread over on RC due to difficulty in posting pictures. Tank was built by the chaps at fishtanksdirect down in Florida (based on suggestion from Albano). My first plastic tank, but to my eye excellent build quality ..... and I haven't scratched it .... well, not yet!

I remember my first scratch on mine...it was a good one. Put the mighty magnet in the tank, was watching and there was a snail sandwiched between the wet side of the magnet and the acrylic....I’ll never forget the scratching sound it made!!!! Never have a discussion with your wife while cleaning the tank!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agonized for a while on whether to go glass or acrylic. Ultimately I went with the latter just due to the weight of the empty tank. A glasscages tank of comparable size was almost 1,200 pounds ..... Gaaaak! Haven't regretted the decision yet. I particularly like how clean/clear the corners are. No silicone to tear into with the scraper blade.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agonized for a while on whether to go glass or acrylic. Ultimately I went with the latter just due to the weight of the empty tank. A glasscages tank of comparable size was almost 1,200 pounds ..... Gaaaak! Haven't regretted the decision yet. I particularly like how clean/clear the corners are. No silicone to tear into with the scraper blade.

Cost and weight was my deciding factor as well. My tank has been up almost 4 yrs now and it has gotten more scratches but I’m the only one that notices them.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso Brevirostris, at least I think that's what it is, went into the big tank tonight. Even my oversized acclimation box isn't oversized enough for this guy, so he went straight in. Although I added him after the lights had been down for a while, my Desjardini routinely has trouble sleeping so gave him a bit of the treatment. Taped the 12x12 mirror to the end of the tank, which always distracts the zebras.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful!!!
If my tank looks half as nice at the 2 year mark, I will be happy. :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System has generally been doing very well, with pretty good coral growth over the 5 months. Had some initial STN, and even lost a couple of small colonies, but mostly it stopped and the growth resumed. I'm already at the point where I can see it will be necessary to prune some of the more aggressive growers. I have places for about 5 more frags/colonies, all of which are putting on a bit of size first in the frag tank. Fish population has grown by 20, though 12 of those were YT damsels LOL. About the only issue I am having is with a large torch coral, that has been gradually losing heads, though that was happening before I did the tank change so unrelated. It appears to me to be some kind of disease, but I'm baffled about specifically what.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally added in a zebra tang that had been recovering weight in my refugium for over a year. Combination of socialization box and idiot mirror has mitigated most aggression. A little from the chevron, but that's about it.

image.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally added in a zebra tang that had been recovering weight in my refugium for over a year. Combination of socialization box and idiot mirror has mitigated most aggression. A little from the chevron, but that's about it.

image.jpeg
Oh my gosh that is so funny. Idiot mirror.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and pictures are absolutely beautiful :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back