Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long to the big guy …..

A0C4D151-B7C1-4B2B-9523-6A1423B55911.jpeg
D906CB1C-CAC3-4C5E-9D2A-29D261B24664.jpeg

Keeping the little guy ….

I no longer qualify for this forum

A lot of effort I am sure after the duration the display. I bet that was a lot of effort and work. Good job on the work. Hope mind and body is in a good place. All the best.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of effort I am sure after the duration the display. I bet that was a lot of effort and work. Good job on the work. Hope mind and body is in a good place. All the best.
I think the best way to sum up the day is ....... ooooooof!

Mind is fine (it always is). As to the corpus .... just not as resilient at 62 as I used to be, so basically everything hurts. But that will pass. Just requires extra sitting on the deck/patio. Though Alfie helped a lot (thank you sir), and he seems fine so ..... I guess we are just unrecoverable 'geeks' that chasing damsels for hours with a net is something we think of as fun :):).

The weirdest thing to me is the noise level in my family room has gone down considerably .... and I keep thinking, uh oh, what's wrong. The overflow design in the tank I have kept is better sized and much quieter so the only thing I hear are the fans in the G4 Radions.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…Though Alfie helped a lot (thank you sir), and he seems fine so ..... I guess we are just unrecoverable 'geeks' that chasing damsels for hours with a net is something we think of as fun :):).

The weirdest thing to me is the noise level in my family room has gone down considerably .... and I keep thinking, uh oh, what's wrong. The overflow design in the tank I have kept is better sized and much quieter
Well… 5 hours of chasing damsels WAS fun, and good practice for my upcoming 1000g+ multi tank move! And I can attest to how quiet the house now ‘seems’…us fish geeks are able to ‘tune out’ the other tanks background noise.
All things considered, it was probably good to spend Saturday at Andrew’s 17000g ‘fish emporium’ to realize that 4-500g is like moving a pico!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also decided to dispense with SPS in the remaining tank. Just LPS, softies and the one magnifica. I had a mostly binary experience with SPS - it either wouldn't grow at all or grew too fast. As I was breaking down the big tank I had many moments of epiphany: aha, that's what happened to that one!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have deleted 400 gallons of SPS dominated tankage, have to decide approach for skimmer and CaRx. WC does 100 gallons a month. Now that total gallons are around 200, that's a 50% change each month, give or take. Given that the remaining tank is softies with some LPS, do I even need to run a CaRx anymore .... I certainly don't need the behemoth that I had been running? I still have the ability to dose alk/ca via trident/DoS should things get out of whak, as well as the Kalkwasser stirrer, so I am thinking about removing the CaRx.

Skimmer is rated to 3,000 gallons plus, so was oversized even before removing the 400. Now absurdly oversized. I have a smaller one, rated to a paltry 1,000 gallons, so probably going to swap that in eventually. That also will allow me to use a smaller pump - reducing electricity consumption was always part of the downsizing calculus.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trivia question: how many 'hiding' places do you think I had for all my aquarium stuff, both old and new? Answer is .... a lot ..... :). Some stuff I forgot that I had. Apparently, I squirreled a bunch of old cannisters and skimmer parts in the attic over the garage. Who knew ......

Makes me seem like something of a hoarder, which i am absolutely not except apparently with fish tanks stuff. Oy ......

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, I squirreled a bunch of old cannisters and skimmer parts in the attic over the garage. Who knew ......

Makes me seem like something of a hoarder, which i am absolutely not except apparently with fish tanks stuff. Oy ......
Take it from a certified hoarder… I wish that I had attic space above my garages!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my top 5 most annoying things about selling used gear (and why I always tell myself never again):

1. Despite clearly listing age in the add, being asked how old something is.
2. ‘Does it work’ ….. yes otherwise I wouldn’t be selling it. Or I’d clearly state it’s for parts.
3. Someone who offers half of what was a reasonable price to start with. Extra credit for those who try to sound like they are doing you a favor.
4. Ask a bunch of questions then be put out when i say it’s sold …. Hee hee.
5. Then of course there is ’people ask more for their used stuff than they’re willing to pay you for yours’.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and lest it be at all unclear, I was recently granted membership into the American Association of Curmudgeons …..

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to remove the large CaRx. Despite all the MTC gear collected over the years, a MiniCal isn't among them. That is what I think I will need. I am also going to remove the AE sulfur reactor. softies just aren't that sensitive to nitrates, and I think the larger % of W/C will keep them controlled. I'll keep some of the sulfur media just in case I decide to setup a small one down the road. Next step is to swap out the monster skimmer for one that is merely large.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back