Simon's 450

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to remove the large CaRx. Despite all the MTC gear collected over the years, a MiniCal isn't among them. That is what I think I will need. I am also going to remove the AE sulfur reactor. softies just aren't that sensitive to nitrates, and I think the larger % of W/C will keep them controlled. I'll keep some of the sulfur media just in case I decide to setup a small one down the road. Next step is to swap out the monster skimmer for one that is merely large.
I've a MiniCal for you Simon...let me know if you want it!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110 has settled in nicely.

101ACC35-712E-46FC-B118-16D575D81181.jpeg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assumed upon deleting 400 gallons from the system that my heater requirements would drop …. mostly they have not. Also, by mid May I’d usually have had the system temp hit 80 a few times. That also has not happened. Appears that the big AC pumps and banks of lights were adding more heat to the old 400 than I had thought. I got rid of the 3/4 HP chiller, and I have an alternate plan for cooling if required (not fans), but will it be required?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out cooling is required. I had an older heat exchanger sitting around and have set it up to use well water for cooling. Works well.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined up to this build thread... incredible stuff! I arrived here because I saw your thread about damsels from another thread about damsels which I found from yet another thread about damsels.. lol! You said check your build thread etc etc... I myself am moving up from a 100G (5' x 18" x 20") to a 240G (8'x2'x2')... my 100 is PACKED.. overgrown..(I am about to go do a big maintenance and trim everything back).. I got the 240 last sunday (used, CL) and am planning the stand and plumbing now..

Anyways I had this crazy idea to put a lot of damsels into this 240 along with my current fish (Sailfin tang, one spot Foxface, Coral Beauty, Flame Hawk, small tomato clown)... I wanted to do a ton of LR with caves and open areas too.. and a lot of damsels.. I love watching them - they are some of my favorite reef fish and in in nature they are all over the reef.. I figured with a LOT of them (not the crazy domino ones) in a large tank with the right rock layout vs open space combination it would work. Apparently it does work.. but I guess I should stick to the yellow tails and a few others..

Anyways.. going back to read 50+ pages of build thread now.. I'll start my own build thread soon.

EDIT: whoa a lot happened going back a few pages..

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out cooling is required. I had an older heat exchanger sitting around and have set it up to use well water for cooling. Works well.
I would love to see how this works in your set up. So does the frankenstein fishroom basement still live? lol. Mine does.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much of the fish room remains. Since I’ve now moved back to mostly softies, the frag tank was no longer necessary. I also got rid of the QT tanks, though one remains that I can press into service should the need arise. Swapped in smaller skimmer, CaRx, and UV.

I’m quite pleased with the cooling system. I’ll snap some pics and explain.

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am contemplating running my UV for my new build through the drain line instead of the return. I read in another thread that you did the same so it brought me here. I do have some questions though.

• Did you place your gate valve before or after the UV?
  • Any issues for you running it this way instead of on the return line or in a closed loop?
  • Anything you would do differently regarding this?

I ran a UV on my previous system on a closed loop and it did well. I just want to simplify it this time around. I understand the danger of air in the UV which I assume a full siphon solves this issue? Your thought on this appreciated!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably you lost patience waiting for me to reply …. sorry, don’t get on here very much anymore. You want to keep the UV full of water all the time so gate valve after the UV. I also put a flow meter on the drain and if that went to zero apex turned off the UV. Otherwise it worked just fine.

I was all for putting gravity to use …. and I needed every gph from the main pump so as few restrictions as possible. On my, now smaller system, UV is back to a more traditional spot because I’m not so flow constrained. Plus I’m keeping softies now and they don’t care.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re busy and you’re not on here a lot, but I really would like to see ya, updated picture of your “new”tank with the softies. And how is the Frankenstein room?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re busy and you’re not on here a lot, but I really would like to see ya, updated picture of your “new”tank with the softies. And how is the Frankenstein room?

Only after you place your update :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been most remiss in doing updates. Softie tank has worked out really well …. and both requires very little attention and generates almost no tank-angst. My current challenge is that the large leather is now very large and apparently on its way to being very, very large. I lack the courage to cut it up. I believe I now have the final living clone of the ‘famous’ Greenwich Aquaria yellow tip magnifica. I know that for its prior owner it split on more than one occasion. No such accommodation yet for me, so it’s getting big also. I even taped a picture of a pair of scissors to the tank as ‘motivation’. Shockingly that did not work.

The well water cooling circuit worked really well, particularly for my now modest water volume. I actually use two, one that circulates water from an outside cistern based on water temp, then switches to well water once the cistern warms too much. I was able to use the cistern to about the end of June then again in Sept.

Fish are all doing well even if the dimensions are a tad restrictive. I just figure that with few exceptions they’re better off with me that most alternate homes.

I’ll take A few pics and post them in the next few days.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reminded again recently how much the performance of a return pump can be improved by upsizing the plumbing. When I got rid of the big tank, it had always been my intention to move the PanWorld 100 onto the larger sump stem. But I never did, until this past weekend. About 18” of pipe on the suction side of the pump. On the smaller 3/4” stem I got about 350 net gph, which is fine for a 110 gallon tank. Moving to the larger 1 1/2” stem I now get about 420. 20% gain. Just by upsizing 18” of pipe. Output side up a floor to the tank remains 1” flex.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Industry ‘leading’ tracking tool …..

20BD563A-D196-4927-B249-1644BB4DBDC8.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back