OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently started doing something I swore I wouldn’t do ....

I’ve long felt that relying on hobby grade automation was unwise. Not just because of equipment reliability, but because it robs newcomers, perhaps veterans too, of the ability to observe that something may be amiss with the tank. I’ve plenty of tech on my tank, but I use it mostly to monitor and alert. I have, however, been so pleased with the trident over the last 8 months that I have decided to delve into automated dosing. I use a CaRx as my main source of minerals, but have acquired a second DOS to automate alkalinity dosing to supplement the reactor and maintain somewhat more stable levels. Use of a sulfur reactor has also made supplementing necessary. Should the CaRx stop working, not unusual for my tank to lose 1 - 1 1/2 dkh per day. That is a problem if I’m out of town for more than a few days. So, just ALK to start as that’s the one that tends to bounce around.

Started a few days ago. Really incredibly easy (even for somebody like me who gets VERY easily frustrated with technology) using the dosing task on apex. I’m pretty impressed with the amount of thought that went into their approach. Nothing is fully foolproof of course. I have temporarily increased trident testing to 6/3/3. May actually leave it there as it shows some quite interesting consumption trends throughout the day.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently started doing something I swore I wouldn’t do ....

I’ve long felt that relying on hobby grade automation was unwise. Not just because of equipment reliability, but because it robs newcomers, perhaps veterans too, of the ability to observe that something may be amiss with the tank. I’ve plenty of tech on my tank, but I use it mostly to monitor and alert. I have, however, been so pleased with the trident over the last 8 months that I have decided to delve into automated dosing. I use a CaRx as my main source of minerals, but have acquired a second DOS to automate alkalinity dosing to supplement the reactor and maintain somewhat more stable levels. Use of a sulfur reactor has also made supplementing necessary. Should the CaRx stop working, not unusual for my tank to lose 1 - 1 1/2 dkh per day. That is a problem if I’m out of town for more than a few days. So, just ALK to start as that’s the one that tends to bounce around.

Started a few days ago. Really incredibly easy (even for somebody like me who gets VERY easily frustrated with technology) using the dosing task on apex. I’m pretty impressed with the amount of thought that went into their approach. Nothing is fully foolproof of course. I have temporarily increased trident testing to 6/3/3. May actually leave it there as it shows some quite interesting consumption trends throughout the day.
Great update.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few older pictures ….

IMG_0782.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty well, though the large screen is tad unwieldy. I think in retrospect …. and there's ALWAYS
a retrospect LOL …. it would have been better to have the screen removable in halves.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, this is how I configure my returns - no check valve, siphon holes or loc-line. Just a single output submerged just enough that it doesn't suck any air shooting straight down behind the main rock pile. Back siphon of only 7 gallons - no way for it to fail.

IMG_0795.JPG
I am rereading your thread. Big risk of vertigo but I am enjoying it too much! This inspired me. I drilled a siphon break a long time ago and regret it. Pulls bubbles into my tank. I think I will replace that piece of pvc soon.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, new pictures of the Frankenstein room would be great. A new video explaining it again would be awesome. Not lazy, it is just really hard For me to scroll for it.

Yes, quite a lot has changed so was intending to do a new video this weekend.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced a few of my test kit reagents due to 'excessive' expiration. My trident has largely been locked in at alk of 8.4, calcium of 450 and mag at 1350. New hanna alk checker reagent tells me 9.2 (old reagent read much higher than that) and new API calcium reads right at 450. I don't independently test for magnesium. Good to validate trident occasionally.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced a few of my test kit reagents due to 'excessive' expiration. My trident has largely been locked in at alk of 8.4, calcium of 450 and mag at 1350. New hanna alk checker reagent tells me 9.2 (old reagent read much higher than that) and new API calcium reads right at 450. I don't independently test for magnesium. Good to validate trident occasionally.
All good, right? I have been just checking every once in awhile.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA had a tang sale this week (hate when they do that LOL). Hard to believe these guys can get to 2' …...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back