Simple 40B sump layout

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the weekend I grabbed the 40B for $1/gallon and getting ready to hit the glass shop for the baffle. Here is my layout I was thinking of going with. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can while still being functional; I've seen some awesome DIY sumps but quite a few looked a lot more "busy" than I would think they need to be. Plus, this being my first saltwater tank, I figured simple is best...thus the 40B and 3 glass baffles. The drains (bean-animal) will dump directly into the Skimmer chamber (emergency into the fuge), not planning to run socks (just one more thing to have to add to maintenance).

Layout is: [skimmer][fuge][return]

Skimmer section: will be 10" wide to accommodate Aquamaxx CQ-2 (6.5x9.5 footprint), with a 12" tall first baffle which will give me a depth of 12" so the skimmer will need a stand to bring it up to ~8" of water.
Fuge section: will be 16" wide - Baffle #2 is once again, flush with the bottom and is 12" tall for 12" for a 12" depth in return chamber. Baffle #3 is also 12" tall but is 2" off of the bottom for total height of 14".
Return section: 8" wide, which with 12" height gives me ~7 gallons of chamber volume.

sump 1.JPG

What do you guys think? is anything missing or anything you would do differently? Should I expand the skimmer and return chambers by another inch or two and shrink the fuge to 12-14"? All it will be used for is macro algae later down the road.

~cheers

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I would split the 10” skimmer section by its width, to create a 5-6” wide (by 10) area for your supply pipes. Set it up such that you could add a filter hanger if you changed your mind, but at a minimum plan on a coarse filter of some sort to keep big stuff out.

I made my sump with some heavy inspiration from Trigger systems designs. 26 for me, but you could look at their 39(?) and mimic it a bit.

You’re also going to want to fit some sort of screen between the refugium baffle and return. My macro likes to run over it. Ended up attaching knitting mesh to hold it back.

F46B31C9-DBA5-48B0-AE7F-A3D34B9DD431.jpeg 57FD11D6-406C-4FF3-96E8-407EF3772905.jpeg

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, I would split the 10” skimmer section by its width, to create a 5-6” wide (by 10) area for your supply pipes. Set it up such that you could add a filter hanger if you changed your mind, but at a minimum plan on a coarse filter of some sort to keep big stuff out.

I made my sump with some heavy inspiration from Trigger systems designs. 26 for me, but you could look at their 39(?) and mimic it a bit.

You’re also going to want to fit some sort of screen between the refugium baffle and return. My macro likes to run over it. Ended up attaching knitting mesh to hold it back.

F46B31C9-DBA5-48B0-AE7F-A3D34B9DD431.jpeg 57FD11D6-406C-4FF3-96E8-407EF3772905.jpeg

Something like this? (top down view) One or Two sock holders with 4" mesh socks.

Blue area (2.5") drop in egg crate shelf with some coarse filter media?

sump top.JPG

Lear31a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out. Got this kit off ebay for mine, its pretty sweet.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, trying to figure out a mounting solution for the socks. All commercial offers seem to be the kind that hangs off of the rim, which won't work due to plastic bracing.

Maybe silicone a horizontal strip of glass/acrylic on the baffle and the left side of the tank wall to make a sort of a shelf. Then cut a 6x10 piece of acrylic, drill 2 4" holes or "U" s and rest it on the shelf. Run the drains into the holes/socks?

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So went around to get some quotes on having glass cut and wow.... Cheapest I found for 3 baffles was $90.

At this rate I'm thinking a pre-made baffle kit, something like:

Or

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check this out. Got this kit off ebay for mine, its pretty sweet.

The description seems different than some of the pictures. How many socks does it hold and do they come with silencers? How many cutouts for the drain plumbing, 1 or 2? How wide is a sock section?

Do you have a pic of the sup put together and running?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went around to get some quotes on having glass cut and wow.... Cheapest I found for 3 baffles was $90.

At this rate I'm thinking a pre-made baffle kit, something like:

Or

wow that way to much for glass baffles, they has to be a mistake. check size and with.

I think I got mine for $20ish

also I like filter cups with filter floss bettr than socks just my option.

those fiji cube looks like to :D

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow that way to much for glass baffles, they has to be a mistake. check size and with.

I think I got mine for $20ish

also I like filter cups with filter floss bettr than socks just my option.

those fiji cube looks like to :D

I wish that was a mistake. 3 places I went all were within 5-10 bucks of each other. 3 baffles, 12"x17 7/16"x1/4 glass.

That's when I started looking at pre-made baffle kits. Because after the glass, plus sock holders I'd be at or over $120.

Lear31a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The description seems different than some of the pictures. How many socks does it hold and do they come with silencers? How many cutouts for the drain plumbing, 1 or 2? How wide is a sock section?

Do you have a pic of the sup put together and running?

2 4in filter sock holders with drop on top silencers. Also tray for filter floss before last area for pump return.

This is my 20L sump on my 40B tank. same kit off ebay. Sorry do not have pics of my 40B sump, but like i said same as the 20L kit.

thumbnail_IMG_1164.jpg

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lots of personal opinions here but ill throw one more at you, I'd you are not running socks then go with triton style like i did. Fuge first with your inlet under water with a 45 on it to tumble your macro. Then skimmer chamber then return with your bubble break. I have a section for socks but haven't used them in 18 months and it's a blessing but it's the just in case after my fuge.
20180424_201645.jpg

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok lots of personal opinions here but ill throw one more at you, I'd you are not running socks then go with triton style like i did. Fuge first with your inlet under water with a 45 on it to tumble your macro. Then skimmer chamber then return with your bubble break. I have a section for socks but haven't used them in 18 months and it's a blessing but it's the just in case after my fuge.
20180424_201645.jpg

First of all, that is a dang clean and gorgeous sump. Ok with that out of the way, I haven't really considered Triton style because for whatever reason I thought it to be more complicated/convoluted; however, that is out of my own ignorance, because I looked at it once when I started out and then never again. My concerns would be is that skimmer section looks tiny, but I suppose ones skimmer size will dictate that. Any issues with larger debris getting sucked into the skimmer due to lack of socks?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing besides a pre skimmer section is the 10inches deep. Will you have room to raise up your skimmer to a working height usually 5-8inches depending on skimmer. How far will it be from the plumbing and top of the stand to get in there and remove the skimmer cup when needed. Just a though.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's 34" from the bottom of the 40B to the top of the cabinet/stand so should be plenty of room to move around. Skimmer Cones Q-2 has a recommended working height of 8" so a quick egg-crate stand should be able to bring it up real easy and cheap.

But like I said, after getting quotes on glass, I'm seriously considering a pre-fabbed baffle kit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back