Simple Dosing Calculator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people don't like to do math, are intimidated by multiple variables, or just prefer the convenience of plugging and chugging. I made this simple excel calculator that should be universally applicable for whatever solution you might be dosing. I think it is pretty straightforward, but I'm open to suggestions on how it could be improved. Enjoy!

Attachments

• reef dose calculator.xlsx
    11.1 KB · Views: 60

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people don't like to do math, are intimidated by multiple variables, or just prefer the convenience of plugging and chugging. I made this simple excel calculator that should be universally applicable for whatever solution you might be dosing. I think it is pretty straightforward, but I'm open to suggestions on how it could be improved. Enjoy!
I know I’m not the prettiest fish in the rank but, I downloaded it, open it, and then what is supposed to happen?

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m not the prettiest fish in the rank but, I downloaded it, open it, and then what is supposed to happen?
Its just a spreadsheet. There should be instructions in the top. Not sure what you mean? You put in your tank size, the concentration of whatever product you are dosing, how much you want to raise your tank concentration and it will tell you how much of the product to put in your tank to achieve that raise.

Edit: see more detailed instructions in next post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I shouldn't take for granted that everyone knows how to use excel. Here are some more detailed instructions for using the calculator once you have opened the file in excel on your computer.

1. Determine the concentration of whatever you are trying to dose to your tank. This may be directly printed on the product bottle, or it might say something like “1 mL of Neo Nitro will raise the nitrate concentration of 1 gallon of saltwater by ~7.5 ppm.”
  2. If your product uses a statement like the Neo Nitro example, use the second calculator first as shown below. Skip this step if the product concentration is directly stated on the product bottle in ppm.
    1716758390445.png

3. Once you have the product concentration (either directly from the bottle or from the previous calculation), type your numbers into these cells as shown and it will tell you how much of the product to dose your tank.
    1716758458070.png

Val Shebeko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing happens. Looks and acts like a screen shot. I do know how to use excel. Just sayin’

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to discourage your efforts but this calculator is easy to use and has been a reference for many years.

Reef Chemistry Calculator
Oh, yes I am aware of that one and many others for dosing the big 3. The purpose of this one is for more one-off dosing such as the Neo Nitro example I used in the instructions. It should be universal for any compound you want to dose that has a measurable concentration in our tanks.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used your spreadsheet to day to figure out the ppm of some stock solutions I was mixing up. I had always just used scratch paper and a calculator in the past.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back