Simple leak detector to turn off return pump?

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wifi leak detector are you using? I was looking at this one on amazon:

Fortunately my new reef octopus varios S4 came with a float switch that effectively turns off the pump when the water gets high (I tested it about 6 times last night lol).

Just looking for a back up until I get an apex. I'm new to all this and have a ton to buy.

Have any pics of how you set up the float switch? In display or sump? Im getting my varios S4 next week.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in the back corner. Make sure you don’t attach the float switch upside down - I read on another thread someone did. I raised the float as high as the bracket went. And it comes with the screw in through the top so I switched it to the side. Then you have to turn it on with the “FS” button on the controller. It seems to be working since I tested it so many times.

6B5512D6-3B8C-4BA2-873D-8A2EE7C63253.jpeg

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ring has a $35 leak detector. I’m sure you could find a smart plug that you could run a IFTTT command to shut it off. I’m thinking about adding one under my tank just to alert me of water.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ring has a $35 leak detector. I’m sure you could find a smart plug that you could run a IFTTT command to shut it off. I’m thinking about adding one under my tank just to alert me of water.
The ring one said it only works with the ring security system. I only have the ring doorbell. Just set up the MySpool and it seems to be sending alerts. Nice backup in case the Vario S-4 float switch fails.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in the back corner. Make sure you don’t attach the float switch upside down - I read on another thread someone did. I raised the float as high as the bracket went. And it comes with the screw in through the top so I switched it to the side. Then you have to turn it on with the “FS” button on the controller. It seems to be working since I tested it so many times.

6B5512D6-3B8C-4BA2-873D-8A2EE7C63253.jpeg
How do you set it up? Do you have it so it protects the motor from running dry? Mine seems to only turn on when the float valve is not floating (wire facing up) So if i set it up the way you have it in your picture it would turn off when the sump is about to overflow ( which would be bad) unless i set it with wire facing down. Or if i moved it to display tank the way you had yours.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you set it up? Do you have it so it protects the motor from running dry? Mine seems to only turn on when the float valve is not floating (wire facing up) So if i set it up the way you have it in your picture it would turn off when the sump is about to overflow ( which would be bad) unless i set it with wire facing down. Or if i moved it to display tank the way you had yours.

I’m new to reefing. I hadn’t thought about its purpose being to prevent the motor from running dry. I was thinking it would prevent the motor from pumping too much water into the tank if the ATO failed. Motor protection makes perfect sense. I’m honestly not sure. Can someone please advise?

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coralvue.com sells the switch separately and it is described as:

Reef Octopus VarioS Pump Controller Safety Switch
A dedicated float switch for the VarioS water and skimmer pump controllers. Used to power down the variable speed pump in case of an overflow.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s probably sold so if the skimmer overflows all that gunk won’t get back in to the system

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back