OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question is, is it worth the hassle or the potential consequences if something goes wrong? Might be easier just to run them as two separate tanks, considering you don't want to buy a return pump or drill either tank. What benefits are you specifically hoping to gain by connecting them?
Well by connecting them all I really need is a new light. If i run it separately then it is a different story. Plus, by connecting them I can be sure that both systems have the same parameters and that I can do a WC on 1 only instead of two.

By the looks of the replies here, it could work, the only problem is that if something goes wrong, the frag tank will flood.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of risk in having two overflows on one tank that goes in multiple directions. It is theoretically possible to balance the system but a lot can go wrong.

Best to just point you to this thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...the-same-horizontal-level-as-the-sump.884667/

There were some options that we discussed there. There are probably many threads on this here in R2R. A lot of us have thought about it. I suspect many have tried. RickVan did have some good ideas in that thread.
They would most definatly have to be in series not tandem. Only 1 return pump and the biggest tank at the end incase of power outage to catch all the water.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the sump behind the all in one? Maybe it could be piped into there without the tank having to be above the level of the display portion of the tank.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would most definatly have to be in series not tandem. Only 1 return pump and the biggest tank at the end incase of power outage to catch all the water.

That is what is said, but in a more elegant way! They don't have to be in series. In the other thread I showed, I have two systems linked together, but the 2nd pump is also in the sump and it pumps to the other tank which also drains back into the sump. So those --- are in parallel, not in series.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drain the AIO part and connect a sump. Then your DT and frag tank share that sump. So your DT drains into your AIO part... which drains into a sump and returns back to the DT. The frag tank shares the sump with its own overflow box. No flood risk... its just same as any standard sump. Your AIO part is just acting as a giant overflow box.
This is the best option.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many complicated solutions have been presented here. If you have a sump running on the existing tank, you can plumb your frag tank right into that.

Split your return so that one goes to the current tank and the other goes to the frag and have your drain line go to the sump where your existing drain line goes.

Cheap and easy to do. You're looking at some additional PVC and a manifold to balance flow.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the sump behind the all in one? Maybe it could be piped into there without the tank having to be above the level of the display portion of the tank.
1645646739281.png

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many complicated solutions have been presented here. If you have a sump running on the existing tank, you can plumb your frag tank right into that.

Split your return so that one goes to the current tank and the other goes to the frag and have your drain line go to the sump where your existing drain line goes.

Cheap and easy to do. You're looking at some additional PVC and a manifold to balance flow.
That is why I asked for pictures. This only works if the drain from the second tank is above the water level on the sump.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you point out the typical water height and wear it rises to when the pump is turned off?
Those are interesting. I can't find a lot of videos that demonstrate its operation. It looks to be a closed loop system where the output of the return pump is below the waterline. When the pump goes off, the water level should be below #1 but above #6 -- is that correct?

I confess that I see this as very difficult. I'd hate to advise you to put a hole in that all in one filter and then not have it work and then have to reverse the process. It also doesn't look like there is much margin for more water to reside in the sump area when the pumps are off.

Anyone else have any ideas?

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are interesting. I can't find a lot of videos that demonstrate its operation. It looks to be a closed loop system where the output of the return pump is below the waterline. When the pump goes off, the water level should be below #1 but above #6 -- is that correct?
I have more water in the tank than the suggested level , also i have a HOB skimmer that dumps even more water into the tank when everything is off, so the water does go over #1 actually. I would say the tank would be able to accommodate for 6-10 additional litres with everything off.

If i run a flexible tube siphon into the frag tank and then a return pump back to the DT, the main issue would be that if the siphon stops for whatever reason, the frag tank's return would empty the frag tank into the DT, however, if i keep that return pump just below the frag tank's waterline, theoretically, it should fix this issue, correct?

Same with the siphon, if i keep the tip of the flexible tubing just barely submerged and the pump stop working for whatever reason, it would not flood the frag tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With reagent cost going up I was likewise driven to combine tanks, same brainstorming without the nerve to 1st ask here….
perhaps not applicable directly pbut my newest build (210 & 150) has two tanks and one sump, I couldn’t come up with any other way…
I may connect my 60g to the other tanks water via Apex DOS

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more water in the tank than the suggested level , also i have a HOB skimmer that dumps even more water into the tank when everything is off, so the water does go over #1 actually. I would say the tank would be able to accommodate for 6-10 additional litres with everything off.

If i run a flexible tube siphon into the frag tank and then a return pump back to the DT, the main issue would be that if the siphon stops for whatever reason, the frag tank's return would empty the frag tank into the DT, however, if i keep that return pump just below the frag tank's waterline, theoretically, it should fix this issue, correct?

Same with the siphon, if i keep the tip of the flexible tubing just barely submerged and the pump stop working for whatever reason, it would not flood the frag tank.
The problem is that the two systems are interconnected. The bigger problems occur when the "other" side of the system fails.

For example, what if the return pump to the main tank slows down, breaks, or goes off, where will the water go? It will drain into the frag tank until the water goes below the weir.

I don't want to discourage you from trying, but that is why most systems use gravity to deliver water to the lowest tank. I think what people would suggest is to have the frag tank below the display tank and then the sump below the frag tank so that water flows from top to bottom with one return pump. That way if the pump stops, the water stops flowing.

You can run systems in parallel as suggested above, but each "side" has to be able to accommodate all of the water that can drain downward. It is just like our lungs. If one side fails, the other side has to handle the entire load.

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, check this out..

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested in making something that does not require drilling or hard plumbing the tanks together, here is a simple concept that will accomplish an interconnection.
maleksdotreef.jpg

With the tank tops at the same level, use a basic powerhead to induce (not force) flow through the left "U-tube". Leave a gap between the powerhead outlet and the "U-tube". The right "U-tube" will equalize the tank levels. With an airline, connect the low pressure venturi port of the powerhead to the high point of both "U-tubes" to remove any air to keep syphon.
This is just the basic concept.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back