Simplicity 240 dc skimmer tuning /too big ?

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t hardly ever get my simplicity skimmer to collect anything. It seems it’s running too rich but at the same time it might just be too big I have a 90 gallon tank with about 17 gallons in the sump the skimmer is reconvened down to 100 gallons of (heavy bioload) and my tank is pretty stocked with 5 baby tangs a butterfly 2 clowns 1 blenny 1 wrass 1 cardinal fish and a various clean up crew of inverts but I just can’t ever get this skimmer to skim anything at any level ?? It used to when I first got it it would over flow but now all the bubbles never make it to the collection cup ( I clean the neck once a week ) and that’s the only way I can get skimmate out. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem or possibly had the same problem before I’m just considering a great white gw5 since it’s a smaller skimmer but I don’t want to test 300$ to find out. Any one have any ideas on why the bubbles don’t collect I’ve tried various tunes but right now it’s with the air flow low the pump maxxed out and the other adjustment is closed mostly any comments are highly appreciated thanks guys !

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this thread To see if they can help you out.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what depth in your sump is the skimmer?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything been resolved? Have you called Simplicity? They are well-balanced skimmers so I do not see why yours is not working, maybe a bad impeller.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Simplicity Aquatics can you help a reefer out?

Thanks for the ping.

I don't think its too big, it should work for your system. Does your controller have dots indicating the speed or numbers on a little screen?

I would recommend starting here:

If that doesn't do the trick would it be possible to post a video?

Its always best to email, call or live chat us to get help but Ill check back here since you need help.

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Simplicity Aquatics can you help a reefer out?
It’s right at 8 inches and now it’s making less bubbles I have a pretty dirty tank (due to this skimmer not working for months ) but maybe I should just buy a new one ? Should I clean it I’ve cleaned it before and nothing happened can anyone recommend a good skimmer for 100 gallons heavily bioload I need some way to pull skim out ! Check out this picture

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s right at 8 inches and now it’s making less bubbles I have a pretty dirty tank (due to this skimmer not working for months ) but maybe I should just buy a new one ? Should I clean it I’ve cleaned it before and nothing happened can anyone recommend a good skimmer for 100 gallons heavily bioload I need some way to pull skim out ! Check out this picture

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here is a video maybe something is broken now becuase it’s all the way up and there isn’t much bubbles or turbulence at all it’s not too old but not brand new it it less than 6 months old cleaned once fully 2 -3 months ago

Attachments

• 62587227180__EC72FD50-8D7F-46A7-B6F7-F3E44BED10D5.MOV
    2.6 MB

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ping.

I don't think its too big, it should work for your system. Does your controller have dots indicating the speed or numbers on a little screen?

I would recommend starting here:

If that doesn't do the trick would it be possible to post a video?

Its always best to email, call or live chat us to get help but Ill check back here since you need help.
@Texasnanoreef345 Did you see this response from @Simplicity Aquatics ? Time to get on the horn with them and get yourself sorted out. I don't have one of their skimmers but have heard only great things. Likely an issue that can be resolved. Please keep on this and don't spend more money if not needed. Also, keep us posted as I will be needing a skimmer for a new build soon and have been considering this brand.

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Texasnanoreef345 Did you see this response from @Simplicity Aquatics ? Time to get on the horn with them and get yourself sorted out. I don't have one of their skimmers but have heard only great things. Likely an issue that can be resolved. Please keep on this and don't spend more money if not needed. Also, keep us posted as I will be needing a skimmer for a new build soon and have been considering this brand.
I’ve tried there tuning method but mine just always seems to be to lean or the bubbles never quite can collect pasted the neck maybe they do for like an hour at night or something but I’ve never got a consistent foam when I first baught it it over flowed On me all the time but now I can’t get that same bubble action I cant get the collection point up passed the curve of the neck to matter what I do is there some kind of pollutant in my ram causing it not to skim ? Should I run more carbon does that help skimming ? And also I carbon dose tropic Marin Eimni np becuase my phosphate readings have ALWAYS been over .90 and I still can’t skim anything out of here it’s that a reason the skimmer wouldent function ? Waaayyyyy too dirty ? Sorry this is my first skimmer and second reef tank only but first sump I need some experienced reefers help like you guys thank you !

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some picture a day later again

image.jpg image.jpg
YOur intake may be partially blocked or the impeller/pump may be damaged. You need to get together with them directly and get it sorted out. DM @Sipmlicity Aquatics here and they will get you sorted out. You may need a new pump or DC controller. Have you taken apart the pump to check the intake and impeller? Really, contact them directly and report back.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized this was the same thread as the DM I just responded too. I watched the video and clearly something is not right. Below is my DM response so I can share with the rest of you. After watching the video I suspect this is either our old impeller (hence the image) or a bad wet side motor.

Hello TexasNano,

I do not believe the skimmer is too big for your system. It is true that a skimmer that is too big can have a neck so large the foam head is unable to build enough to have the waste bubbles pop in the cup.

This is likely due to improper tuning, check out this article.
Inadequate water depth where the skimmer is siting, it should be at least 8" for the 240
Or a pump problem:
  • What wattage is your pump running at? (I now saw it was at 26 in the video)
  • Do you run it at full speed?
  • Which impeller do you have?

simplicity-impeller-assemblies-comparison.jpg

Are you able to create a video and shoot it over?

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if this helps...my simplicity skimmer didn’t foam for several if not 3-4 weeks after startup of my tank (a 136g peninsula, with 40g sump) How long have you been running yours? Here’s a pic of the needle valve on mine and foam production. I have it turned all the way up for power also on the controller. I also have it hooked to a CO2 reactor. The silencer is on top to recirc the skimmer air and get good humidity for the scrubber. Also my skimmer chamber water level is 8 3/4” Hope this helps. I would think the skimmer size is fine for your tank.
1710BF98-9237-4CF7-950A-323734BD74D5.jpeg
D8B743BC-AD3D-49F5-A31A-718EA45BD5D7.jpeg
E214E474-1816-4DFD-AA0A-101F050A4428.jpeg
C2A9FA05-C71D-40E4-945B-A56CA09C39A8.jpeg

Last edited:

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video there is a problem with the pump, this isn't a break in period etc... The pump is not performing.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back