Simplicity 240 dc skimmer....I love it!

topround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to replace my aging Reef Octopus skimmer with a new DC powered skimmer to have a quieter skimmer in my sump. After replacing my return pump (Eheim 1262) with a new Sicce sdc 7.0, pump noise was so much lower that the skimmer became the loudest thing in my sump by a large margin.
So off I went researching skimmers.
I almost pulled the trigger on three different skimmers trying to decide which would be better when I came across some reviews for the Simplicity skimmer. To my eyes it looked like a clone of the Skimz skimmer I was , thinking about buying, but was $100 cheaper.
Some more research later and I find reviews by people who have had several skimmers but love this one the best, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one.
One of the greatest features of this skimmer is that at the bottom of their web page is a phone number, that when called is answered by the owner, a very friendly guy who was only willing to help, this to me was HUGE, a real person at the other end of the product, just like Avast, another company with great support.

The most amazing thing is that this skimmer blows away my Reef Octopus, it is pulling so much more skimmate than the RO, Maybe because the RO was older , or maybe the Simplicity is a more efficient design? all I know is that my water is cleaner, and my tank is much quieter, uses less electricity and my wallet is fuller, a win win IMO.

I love my simplicity skimmer.........

Mike

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the exact same one on my 120 with a light bioload. It’s a little overkill right now but I figured I could tune it down. Works amazing! The skim I clean in the neck is always so thick and nasty. The waste in the cup is always dark brown and watery (I skim wet). It’s on point.

IMO, you really can’t beat the price this workhorse puts out. It’s truly impressive.

OP
OP
T

topround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Marineland 90 gallon tank with a Eshopps adv200 sump.
My hobby has been freshwater fish but my youngest son wants to be a marine biologist so I bought him a 90 for Xmas and well as you guys know you keep buying gear! My son basically takes care of the tank,, checking water parameters and feeding and filling. He happens to be very good at aquascaping IMHO! He loves it, he sits downstairs with the tank doing his homework!
Soft corals with Leds.

I just wanted to let the community know how great this skimmer is. I had been looking at Skimz,, Vertex,, the new DC elite reef Octopus,,Nyos, even entertained the idea of a Bubble King but the price is way out of my pay grade.
One of my friends has a Red Sea and it is very quiet and I am trying to make out tank as quiet as I can, my next trick is to try a gurgle blaster on the overflow. I've seen a few videos on this and it seems to work really well.
I used to be an audiophile, audiophiles are a crazy lot, we always strive to make things better and we look for areas of perceived weakness and try to improve on them. I guess some of the crazy aspects of that hobby have transferred to this one!

Mike

ikanayam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this skimmer also. It's great on the wallet and performs like a champ. Same thing, I was looking for a DC skimmer to keep the level of noise down. It's quiet to the point where the overflow is louder.

OP
OP
T

topround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working with an experienced aquarium professional to work on this overflow problem.
Seems like trial and error, but I will try to video a before and after and see if we get some level of success.
There is always room for improvement..on just about everything.

Funny thing ..I had a friend over who was a reefer form years back,, who has been out of the hobby for many years, when he came to my house to see my tank he was blown away by how sophisticated the technology has become, and I am a newbie!!

This hobby has grown in level of sophistication very greatly over the years.....

My son is very interested in the science of it all, the species,, the water , and how they interact, myself I am interested in how the gear has become so sophisticated, and honestly how much more it can become.
There are those guys that just look at the fish, the water , the corals and know what needs to be done..or not done,, these people have experience...
and the science tries to capture that experience and make it easier for all of us to make the magic happen, without all the pitfalls...it tries....
I can only imagine what comes next..........

Mike

1cc386ea8e470a

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working with an experienced aquarium professional to work on this overflow problem.
Seems like trial and error, but I will try to video a before and after and see if we get some level of success.
There is always room for improvement..on just about everything.

Funny thing ..I had a friend over who was a reefer form years back,, who has been out of the hobby for many years, when he came to my house to see my tank he was blown away by how sophisticated the technology has become, and I am a newbie!!

This hobby has grown in level of sophistication very greatly over the years.....

My son is very interested in the science of it all, the species,, the water , and how they interact, myself I am interested in how the gear has become so sophisticated, and honestly how much more it can become.
There are those guys that just look at the fish, the water , the corals and know what needs to be done..or not done,, these people have experience...
and the science tries to capture that experience and make it easier for all of us to make the magic happen, without all the pitfalls...it tries....
I can only imagine what comes next..........

Mike
I just got one today. It's in a bucket breaking in. Anyone know what the double sided sticky foam square that came with it is for???

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reviews guys and much appreciate. I have tried so many skimmer in my years in this hobby from mid-range to expensive skimmers, like the Bubble King. I purchase this BK at the time just like when something new comes out, there so much hype about the product. In all honesty the skimmer was a big disappointment. Eventually, I became a Vertex and Bubble Magus owner. For less money I was very satisfied with many aspects of theses skimmers. Now reading about the Simplicity DC skimmers I going to order the 240Dc model for my new setup.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to replace my aging Reef Octopus skimmer with a new DC powered skimmer to have a quieter skimmer in my sump. After replacing my return pump (Eheim 1262) with a new Sicce sdc 7.0, pump noise was so much lower that the skimmer became the loudest thing in my sump by a large margin.
So off I went researching skimmers.
I almost pulled the trigger on three different skimmers trying to decide which would be better when I came across some reviews for the Simplicity skimmer. To my eyes it looked like a clone of the Skimz skimmer I was , thinking about buying, but was $100 cheaper.
Some more research later and I find reviews by people who have had several skimmers but love this one the best, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one.
One of the greatest features of this skimmer is that at the bottom of their web page is a phone number, that when called is answered by the owner, a very friendly guy who was only willing to help, this to me was HUGE, a real person at the other end of the product, just like Avast, another company with great support.

The most amazing thing is that this skimmer blows away my Reef Octopus, it is pulling so much more skimmate than the RO, Maybe because the RO was older , or maybe the Simplicity is a more efficient design? all I know is that my water is cleaner, and my tank is much quieter, uses less electricity and my wallet is fuller, a win win IMO.

I love my simplicity skimmer.........

Mike

I run the exact same one on my 120 with a light bioload. It’s a little overkill right now but I figured I could tune it down. Works amazing! The skim I clean in the neck is always so thick and nasty. The waste in the cup is always dark brown and watery (I skim wet). It’s on point.

IMO, you really can’t beat the price this workhorse puts out. It’s truly impressive.

Hands down my Simplicity has also blown my RO out of the ballpark.

I love this skimmer also. It's great on the wallet and performs like a champ. Same thing, I was looking for a DC skimmer to keep the level of noise down. It's quiet to the point where the overflow is louder.

I just got one today. It's in a bucket breaking in. Anyone know what the double sided sticky foam square that came with it is for???

Thank you all for the very kind words! Please do share as much as possible. We would also LOVE for you to write reviews on Amazon, aquacave, premiumaquatics, Drs Foster Smith etc. That would be VERY helpful.

Joeygee23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine 50% off.. Foster and Smith. Came with very loud pump with bad bushing. Owner sent a replacement pump.. Delivered in 2 data! Curve 7 is now in a box in basement!

Joeygee23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine 50% off.. Foster and Smith. Came with very loud pump with bad bushing. Owner sent a replacement pump.. Delivered in 2 data! Curve 7 is now in a box in basement!

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reviews guys and much appreciate. I have tried so many skimmer in my years in this hobby from mid-range to expensive skimmers, like the Bubble King. I purchase this BK at the time just like when something new comes out, there so much hype about the product. In all honesty the skimmer was a big disappointment. Eventually, I became a Vertex and Bubble Magus owner. For less money I was very satisfied with many aspects of theses skimmers. Now reading about the Simplicity DC skimmers I going to order the 240Dc model for my new setup.

LatinKing did you get your hands on a Simplicity 240? How is it working out for you?

KoiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dc240 works fine and it's super quiet compared to my reef octopus. The control is fantastic as well.

Back