Simplicity 240 dc skimmer tuning /too big ?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact skimmer and it works great. What I notice in the OP's pics is that the neck of the skimmer is very dirty. I'm pretty sure this kills the skimmate in lots of skimmers.

I've had my skimmer pump/impeller get clogged with macro algae bits. After cleaning that out, I put some coarse foam/mesh around the input to keep my chaeto fragments out.

I'd recommend cleaning the neck of the skimmer and the impeller (impeller itself, the shaft, and the cavity the shaft fit in).

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized this was the same thread as the DM I just responded too. I watched the video and clearly something is not right. Below is my DM response so I can share with the rest of you. After watching the video I suspect this is either our old impeller (hence the image) or a bad wet side motor.

Hello TexasNano,

I do not believe the skimmer is too big for your system. It is true that a skimmer that is too big can have a neck so large the foam head is unable to build enough to have the waste bubbles pop in the cup.

This is likely due to improper tuning, check out this article.
Inadequate water depth where the skimmer is siting, it should be at least 8" for the 240
Or a pump problem:
  • What wattage is your pump running at? (I now saw it was at 26 in the video)
  • Do you run it at full speed?
  • Which impeller do you have?

simplicity-impeller-assemblies-comparison.jpg

Are you able to create a video and shoot it over?
I’m not sure what cone I have but I know it’s in around 8 inches of water would deeper be better ? I have tried to tune the skimmer the way the article said to do I turned the pump all the way up and still didn’t reach the collection point I raised the water level with the stand pipe and it still didn’t get the foam head to the collection point and when I lowered the airflow and still no foam to the collection cup . Not sure what else to do I will take it apart to clean it and inspect the impeller ASAP ! Thank you for all the responses what’s the difference in the solid cone and hollow cone ? Is one for a deeper water higher bioload ?

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact skimmer and it works great. What I notice in the OP's pics is that the neck of the skimmer is very dirty. I'm pretty sure this kills the skimmate in lots of skimmers.

I've had my skimmer pump/impeller get clogged with macro algae bits. After cleaning that out, I put some coarse foam/mesh around the input to keep my chaeto fragments out.

I'd recommend cleaning the neck of the skimmer and the impeller (impeller itself, the shaft, and the cavity the shaft fit in).
Will do and will filter floss work on the intake ? Or will it clog ? Also I clean the skimmer neck 2 times a week and that’s just where the foam head collects

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with the clean cup/neck:

However looking at the skimmers performance there is something wrong with the way it is running. It is certainly possible it is due to algae or something else in the pump, or a clogged venturi.

I’m not sure what cone I have but I know it’s in around 8 inches of water would deeper be better ? I have tried to tune the skimmer the way the article said to do I turned the pump all the way up and still didn’t reach the collection point I raised the water level with the stand pipe and it still didn’t get the foam head to the collection point and when I lowered the airflow and still no foam to the collection cup . Not sure what else to do I will take it apart to clean it and inspect the impeller ASAP ! Thank you for all the responses what’s the difference in the solid cone and hollow cone ? Is one for a deeper water higher bioload ?

One impeller is our old version and one is new version. While typically the only issue with the old impeller is noise, it could come into play with performance as well. I'd rather not say which is which until you tell me which one you have :)

Will do and will filter floss work on the intake ? Or will it clog ? Also I clean the skimmer neck 2 times a week and that’s just where the foam head collects

You do not want to impede waterflow on the intake. If you wish to use floss of some kind you will want a contraption to make it a large surface area so it does not starve the pump of water flow in any way.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some picture a day later again

image.jpg image.jpg
In this pic of your skimmer, the inside of the neck is dirty. Right above the water and foam, it turns dark. The entire neck, all the way up to the collection cup, should be clean and mostly clear (no green or black build-up). That guck on the neck kills the foam. I don't know why, but it does.

The intake filter I use on my skimmer is a very coarse filter foam. It's purpose is to catch pieces of chaeto and not reduce flow. I use it on my return pumps and there is no difference in flow with it on versus with it off. I wouldn't use filter floss if it is too fine.

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if this helps...my simplicity skimmer didn’t foam for several if not 3-4 weeks after startup of my tank (a 136g peninsula, with 40g sump) How long have you been running yours? Here’s a pic of the needle valve on mine and foam production. I have it turned all the way up for power also on the controller. I also have it hooked to a CO2 reactor. The silencer is on top to recirc the skimmer air and get good humidity for the scrubber. Also my skimmer chamber water level is 8 3/4” Hope this helps. I would think the skimmer size is fine for your tank.
1710BF98-9237-4CF7-950A-323734BD74D5.jpeg
D8B743BC-AD3D-49F5-A31A-718EA45BD5D7.jpeg
E214E474-1816-4DFD-AA0A-101F050A4428.jpeg
C2A9FA05-C71D-40E4-945B-A56CA09C39A8.jpeg
hey! how did you connect it to a co2 scrubber?

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just put it in place of the air silencer. You don't need an air silencer in the middle of the line, so remove it or better yet use it on the other side of the scrubber if it makes the suction sound.
so just connect the co2 scrubber tube right to the skimmer. remove the silencer and connect that tube?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back