Simplicity 240 Skimmer - Think I have an issue

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bought brand new, going into service 7/23. I noticed early today on my apex that my PH was down to 8.1, so I knew something was up.when I got home the skimmer was off (it’s plugged into the black EB, the orange is full). The control pad had a error message. So I pulled it out and could tell it needed a really good cleaning. When I took the pump apart, by simply twisting the front cover off, I was shocked. There is clearly water getting into the shaft area. There is a metal bearing, and other exposed metals, including the magnet. You can see the putting the salt water is doing to the magnet. When I cleaned it up it is apparent that there was some rust colored stuff coming out of it. This wasn’t a cheap skimmer and my LFS, who I bought it from thinking I would support the local guy. I found out the hard way that once you leave the store, it’s on you. I always that that was the case with live goods, not dry goods. Anyway… anyone have this happen before ? I assume I can track down a new motor to replace this one with.

IMG_2204.jpeg IMG_2202.jpeg IMG_2201.jpeg IMG_2200.jpeg IMG_2199.jpeg IMG_2197.jpeg IMG_2198.jpeg IMG_2195.jpeg IMG_2196.jpeg

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is normally water flooded in the magnet cavity to keep it cool. I don't see too much wrong with the pump from the pics you have posted. Does it spin freely when you install the needle wheel back into the pump body? Does the pump work when you plug it in? Since it's so new, call Simplicity they'll make it right for you if there is an issue.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is normally water flooded in the magnet cavity to keep it cool. I don't see too much wrong with the pump from the pics you have posted. Does it spin freely when you install the needle wheel back into the pump body? Does the pump work when you plug it in? Since it's so new, call Simplicity they'll make it right for you if there is an issue.
I guess I was concerned with the pitting on the magnet and the red colored, looked like rust color that I wiped out of the magnet sleeve. It's not about it working, it does now that I cleaned it. I am concerned with it leaching metals into my sps tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back