Sincere Question

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m putting things into place for my first diy sump (first sump ever actually).

I won’t bore you with the details of why I’m asking now, but please tell me the cons of putting my refugium before my skimmer (after filter sock compartment) versus after my skimmer (before bubble trap\return pump) compartments.

Please and bless you:)

DT will be 65G Aqueon (36x18x24).
Sump is 29G Aqueon (24 x 12 depth).

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I won’t bore you with the details of why I’m asking now, but please tell me the cons of putting my refugium before my skimmer (after filter sock compartment) versus after my skimmer (before bubble trap\return pump) compartments.

I say no cons. I personally love to allow the refugium enjoy the fully and process unfiltered tank water before the skimmer has a technological go at it. Go for it!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no filter socks, I have a refugium only with a skimmer in the refugium off to the side. See my tank journal last page I believe.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The old way of thinking was that you would lose pods to the skimmer. Though, with the advent and subsequent popularity of the Triton method, that loss has proven to be negligible. I say go for it.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is better to have the refugium downstream to avoid anything from the refugium clogging up the skimmer

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, losing pods could be an issue. I think the an important one maybe nutrients and PH especially at night. Making sure your refugium has enough nutrients to keep the PH up at night. Although you can control this with timers/ lighting. My skimmers are more for gas exchange than pulling skimmate out. I feel there is a trend of water column being more nutrient poor than heavy. I think you may need to decide what you are going to use your refugium for. Is it Pods, PH or nutrient control? then try to plan accordingly.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say no cons. I personally love to allow the refugium enjoy the fully and process unfiltered tank water before the skimmer has a technological go at it. Go for it!
That was my exact thought process but I am still learning. I wanted to pose the question to those with experience to see if there are things I may not be aware of and should take into consideration.

Most setups I have seen (both diy and brand sumps) have the skimmer first then the fuge. Thank you!

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is better to have the refugium downstream to avoid anything from the refugium clogging up the skimmer
Good point to consider. Thank you.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no filter socks, I have a refugium only with a skimmer in the refugium off to the side. See my tank journal last page I believe.
Checking out tank journal now. Thank you!

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old way of thinking was that you would lose pods to the skimmer. Though, with the advent and subsequent popularity of the Triton method, that loss has proven to be negligible. I say go for it.
Thank you! That extra information helps my understanding.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, losing pods could be an issue. I think the an important one maybe nutrients and PH especially at night. Making sure your refugium has enough nutrients to keep the PH up at night. Although you can control this with timers/ lighting. My skimmers are more for gas exchange than pulling skimmate out. I feel there is a trend of water column being more nutrient poor than heavy. I think you may need to decide what you are going to use your refugium for. Is it Pods, PH or nutrient control? then try to plan accordingly.
I want to integrate the refugium for nutrient control. I will be adding pods for biome diversity (I add them now every so often to current DT). I’m not planning on keeping a mandarin or any other fish that depends on pods as a primary source of food.

My skimmer is the reef octo classic 110INT. I have the co2 lid to run the BRS co2 reactor as well.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how I run my setup. My fuge substrate is crawling with pods everywhere. No filter socks in use. You can view in my "My Tank Thread" link

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I run my setup. My fuge substrate is crawling with pods everywhere. No filter socks in use. You can view in my "My Tank Thread" link
Thanks! Will do!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back