Single A500x on Red Sea Reefer 250?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
888
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 250 is about 8 months old and I’m looking at the Kessil A500x. According to BRS and Kessil vids, one light should be able to cover my tank. But I’m wondering if there’s anyone who’s running that set up.

I’d like to know this:

At 100 PAR on the sand, at what height and intensity is the light set at?
 
Maybe. You may need one of the angled reflectors for more spread. I couldn't even begin to guess at what height and intensity you need to specify to get 100 PAR on the sand bed (this is where a PAR meter really comes in handy).
 
That's a powerful light. If you use the 55 degree reflector that comes with it, you'll need to mount it about 30 inches in the air. 100 par on the sandbed would be no problem for that light.

Depending on what you try to keep, it should cover the majority of that tank, but if it's SPS, they would need to be located in center.
 
I’m getting about 160 par on the bottom of 40 inch tall tank. Measured with apogee 650
 
I’m getting about 160 par on the bottom of 40 inch tall tank. Measured with apogee 650
What intensity is the light set at?
My Reefer 250 is like 21” or so deep. This light may be too powerful. Thinking maybe 2 a360x lights would be better but I’d like to see the par spread across 36” using those lights
 
I can't offer you the values for the 500, but if it was my own tank, I would run 2 360's. Better spread, better ability to adjust intensity over a larger area.

With a single light source, you will be limited to, well... a single source of light!! lol.. In order to get it bright enough to reach the lower corners, you will have a huge hot spot in the middle.

With 2 lights, you can get a more reasonable level over the whole system.

I personally run 4 Kessil A360X TB's over my 135g display (72 x 18 x 24) I get par in the high 500s in the upper levels and mid 100s at the bottom.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new