Single Best Piece of Equipment?

Rolrod39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are a given. No good lights no real reef. I would say oversized skimmer, and filteration. It goes a long way when you get addicted the fish which is a load. Also they compliment your reef. Then a doser once you gain more knowledge on reef stability to have a thriving reef.

Charlie C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Apex because I can control the tank while I’m away. But it’s not the best piece of equipment for me. I think my Trigger sump is most important followed by a strong return pump and circulation pumps inside the tank. Then the Reef Octopus protein skimmer.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sink in that basement?

I didn't, so I installed a slop sink and a drain pump that pumps the water up to the plumbing in the ceiling to use the house's main drains, and it's by far the most valuable thing I've done.

Just another chance for me to brag about the finest piece of equipment I bought this year.

IMG-4225.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, it could only get better if it had a tapper on it.

If a "tapper" is a "kegger" well, my refrigerator is seven steps ahead and to the left. If my kids weren't home from school, there would be plenty of refreshment in there. I guess I taught them... something.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another chance for me to brag about the finest piece of equipment I bought this year.

Way nicer than mine:

img_2178-jpeg.1255984

But still, for all my brewing/reef projects I wouldn't give it up for the world. I've lugged hundreds of gallons of water up and down the cellar stairs over the years -- never again.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way nicer than mine:

img_2178-jpeg.1255984

But still, for all my brewing/reef projects I wouldn't give it up for the world. I've lugged hundreds of gallons of water up and down the cellar stairs over the years -- never again.

The only difference I see is Scotts' is blue

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone has said it well. Lights and flow are a given. Unfortunately, this can be an expensive hobby. However, you don’t need the most expensive equipment to be successful. I’ve seen tanks with “cheap” lights that grow amazing coral. It really comes down to husbandry. That being said, if you are lucky enough to be able to afford some of the higher end equipment, it can really make life a lot easier.

IMO, a lot of us forget just now convenient ATO’s make our life. They’re just there. We only refill reservoir when needed. It’s not a big part of the tank like wavemakers or lights, so you just take them for granted.

Personally, my favorite piece of equipment is my Trident. I’ve found it very reliable and it has helped me really zero in my dosing. I can honestly say I’ve seen a noticeable increase of growth in my corals because I have been able to adjust what I dose based upon the Trident’s measurements.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Apex is awesome, makes my life super easy. Also is a blast to tinker with and try to make things more and more automated. However it's not my favorite piece of gear, and wouldn't recommended for a new reefer. Wouldn't yet be worth the cost.

A good ATO is a great gadget. Also I really like my Kessil a360x's. The spectral controllerX --- cant stand the thing. Thanks Kessil for taking so long to incorporate wifi (sarcasm). I mean, cmon.

My favorite though? Prob the Ecotech MP10qd. I've used sicce, and recently bought a Gyre. But nothing beats the simplicity and awesome design of that sleek little MP10.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe the single best piece of equipment one can get for their system is a quality ATO. There are a ton of lights out there that are capable of maintaining and growing corals, MANY tanks run skimmerless, TONS of inexpensive ways to create flow, and controllers are ABSOLUTELY not needed! Stability being the biggest key to success in reef keeping, IMO an ATO is an absolute necessity to have a truly successful reef. You can top off manually everyday, but there will still be swings in parameters (esp SG), not with an ATO.

Second for me would be a quality RODI system.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to date the autoaqua ato. It was a life saver going on vacation. didn't have to try to get someone to come in and top the tank off every day I was gone.

Wolverine47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either lights or primary filtration piece like a skimmer or refugium. Lights obviously because corals need it to grow and it can also affect how much we as viewers of the tank like/appreciate it. But nothing will give you headaches like not being able to keep nitrates/phosphates down and algae everywhere so primary filtration equipment would also get strong consideration.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a doubt, my rotary drum filter. It has been zero maintenance -- I haven't touched it in 3 months, and has been so good at removing detritus that my skimmer barely produces skimmate (skimmer is basically a glorified co2 scrubber now). I have had to start dosing nitrates because they were undetectable.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back