Single clown.

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’ve had a nightmare today and have lost one of my clowns. Sadly I think it’s behind the tank and I’m now down to one clownfish. Will it be okay alone or should I find a friend ASAP. It’s not alone in the tank however I have a tail spot Blenny too.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it’s healthy. The other one was lost to jumping. If I do try to pair it with another should I get one bigger or smaller? Mines only 6 to 9 months old so still small.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it’s healthy. The other one was lost to jumping. If I do try to pair it with another should I get one bigger or smaller? Mines only 6 to 9 months old so still small.
Was the remaining clown the male or female (larger) of the pair?
I think the main thing is if it's already female, you need to make sure you don't get another female.
*clowns go from sexless to male to female but can't go backwards, if that makes sense

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the remaining clown the male or female (larger) of the pair?
I think the main thing is if it's already female, you need to make sure you don't get another female.
*clowns go from sexless to male to female but can't go backwards, if that makes sense
The remaining one is the smaller of the pair. Also thanks for all the replies everyone I appreciate it.

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown is alone and it likes hanging out with my firefish. It’ll be fine by itself. In the past I’ve tried replacing the mate that was lost (to jumping or whatever else) and they don’t always get along just fyi

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like they remaining one is still a male if you choose to get another get one a little larger, like a half inch. It worked for me.
^^Agreed !
Unless very small fry, clownfish left alone for a certain period of time will change sex. Once female, that's it so now would be a good time to add another if you want to.
Good luck !

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if my LFS has one and also see what they say about it. How long do you think the timeframe is until I can’t get another one?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if my LFS has one and also see what they say about it. How long do you think the timeframe is until I can’t get another one?
I honestly do not know the exact time frame and might vary from fish to fish I'm no expert on the subject, just something I've picked up along the way but I think if he's tiny to small you have a little bit of time.
Research and maybe you'll find a good source for your answer.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was clinging to life when I returned from vacation. Strangely it was beaten by my other clown. They had been together for over a year. I got another one on my next day off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As territorial as they can get, sometimes they are best on their own

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask a follow up question?
I bought two Clownfish a couple of months ago. One was a bit larger than the other. Everything was fine until a few days ago. Suddenly the larger, more dominant one was missing its tail. And I noticed that the smaller fish had grown to be equal in size. The injured Clownfish died the next day.
The remaining Clownfish seems fine except for a tiny tear in its top fin. I will wait at least a week to be sure there is no sign of illness before adding any new fish.
I am trying to decide whether or not to add a smaller Clownfish or leave this one as a single. The only other fish is a diamond goby, who seems fine. The tank is a 32g BioCube, about four months old. The parameters are stable. I have snails, small crabs, peppermint shrimp, pulsing Xenia, branching GSP, a mushroom coral, and a new Torch coral.
Thoughts? Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back