Single to double Gyre's

Discussion in 'Maxspect' started by Daimyo68, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Daimyo68

Daimyo68 Active Member

I currently have an XF150 running on a 60x24x38 tank... (don't ask, it was here with the house).

Running at about 80%, the tank likes it, but I get too much detritus buildup due to the gyre flow., OK, I will get a 2nd one and mix it up a bit with turbulence to help keep this from happening. (like I do with 2 mp40's in another tank).

Anyways, I was going to get another XF150 and found that they are discontinued.

With that in mind, can I just get the XF230 and a second Pump and achieve the same flow rate. I am assuming yes, but not sure, hence I'm here asking

Captain Quint likes this.

2. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

The 250 would be equivalent in size. To be honest I feel like I get stronger flow out of my 150 than my 250 but I've never heard that from anyone else. 230 is smaller than the 150

3. Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award ETRC Member

It has been a couple of years since I used gyres but just want to mention this just in case so you can research it before you buy another one...If you're using a controller, I think you need to go with a 250...i don't think you can mix a 130/230 with a 150/250 on the same controller but I'm not 100% positive on this. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I think adding a second gyre is a great idea though.

4. pecan2phat

pecan2phat Well-Known Member

If you get the XF-250 kit which is the 2nd generation XF-150, the advanced controller that it comes with can operate your XF-150 also. The advanced controller links both gyres and uses just one power supply.
    But be warned, the 2nd gen XF-250 will be obsolete in 2 months. The 3rd generation is due out in the spring but it is not compatible with any of the 1st or 2nd generation pumps so if you need to run 2 pumps and wait for the 3rd generation, you'll have to buy both pumps and controller.

5. Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken Active Member Build Thread Contributor

The older heads are compatible with the new advanced controllers but I don't thing the old controller will work a newer head. I just installed a a 230 on my tank and don't run it over 40% or I would find all the substrate on the other side of the tank.

6. Daimyo68

Daimyo68 Active Member

the new Gyres are backwards compatible to an extent.

If I go with the XF250, then I will run them down at 50% or less. This setup doesn't need anywhere near the 80% which would equate to almost 8000gph between them both

XF-250 will be obsolete in 2 months - Would definitely go with the 2nd gen, so I don't end up spending almost triple

if you're using a controller, I think you need to go with a 250 - You are correct, image attached

maxpsect-compatabilty.jpg

Captain Quint and Hybrid Ken like this.
  7. Hybrid Ken

Hybrid Ken Active Member Build Thread Contributor

If I had one older head and the cash to do it, I would get a new head with the gen 2 controller and hook the old head up with the new head and controller. Keep the old controller for a back up.

Daimyo68 likes this.
  8. Ignitros

Ignitros Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm selling a pair of xf230's with the advanced controller and the ICV6 controller shipped for $400 if you're interested.

9. pecan2phat

pecan2phat Well-Known Member

If you wait 2 months, I'm sure the used market for XF-250s will bottom.

10. Daimyo68

Daimyo68 Active Member

Was thinking about that, but several major suppliers are now showing them out of stock/discontinued/low stock.

Appreciate the offer, but already have an XF230 here also. I would use this one, but I want one controller for both pumps

Draft saved Draft deleted