Single yellowtail chromis laying eggs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter exnisstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,708
Reaction score
33,685
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my yellow tail chromis acts like it's laying eggs or at least it looks like my clowns when they have spawned. Funny thing is I only have one of the species in the tank. It has been in for over 1½ years and never done this before. I did add 10 green chromis 3 days ago and wondering if they've triggered the behaviour but the green chromis have mostly been hiding and i have not seen any interaction between the yellow tail and any of them. Looking with a light I don't see any eggs. I'm more curious than concerned and wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before.

PXL_20251109_173600502~2.jpg


PXL_20251109_173615685~2.jpg


 
I just noticed my yellow tail chromis acts like it's laying eggs or at least it looks like my clowns when they have spawned. Funny thing is I only have one of the species in the tank. It has been in for over 1½ years and never done this before. I did add 10 green chromis 3 days ago and wondering if they've triggered the behaviour but the green chromis have mostly been hiding and i have not seen any interaction between the yellow tail and any of them. Looking with a light I don't see any eggs. I'm more curious than concerned and wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before.

PXL_20251109_173600502~2.jpg


PXL_20251109_173615685~2.jpg



Like Jay I have only seen this with a few freshwater fish. Reptiles will sometimes do it as well as some birds from time to time. Mammalians do this on a regular basis...... I think like in reptiles the fish may recycle the eggs within the body more often than laying them, but it does happen sometimes. I am not a biologist so my take on it could be incorrect.
 
Like Jay I have only seen this with a few freshwater fish. Reptiles will sometimes do it as well as some birds from time to time. Mammalians do this on a regular basis...... I think like in reptiles the fish may recycle the eggs within the body more often than laying them, but it does happen sometimes. I am not a biologist so my take on it could be incorrect.

It was strange. I never saw eggs just her going through the act of laying them so your explanation is very possible. She's back to her normal self and eating so I'll just observe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new