Siphon on return

  • Thread starter Thread starter cba191
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cba191

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2012
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
954
Location
salt lake city
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dual returns and was wondering about siphons. I've seen people recommend against check valves and others drill a small breather hole to break the siphon. What is best? And if I were to drill, where would i drill the hole.
6b5f0406-d913-4824-8fd6-1597538845dc.jpg
c47dc194-a4ab-473a-ac9f-e5a52d3fa7a9.jpg
 
you can drill a small hole on top of the 90
 
oh yea I was thinking drain not return
 
I did neither. I just made sure that my dump wouldn't over flow when the return is off
 
You can drill it at a 45’ angle aiming downward into the tank or raise the return outlet just below the water level so it breaks the siphon more quickly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new