SIPORAX USERS

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who out here is using Siporax Filtration Media in their sumps ? I am interested in seeing how old your system is / how long using this product ? im using a large amount for a 425 Gal. T.W.V and i don't ever get any detectable No3 / Po4 , now i also have a fuge with cheato and Marine Pure blocks , im guessing i have " too much filtration " as corals are pale in color ( before my crash ) . Just wondering how much bio load in relation to filtration ?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who out here is using Siporax Filtration Media in their sumps ? I am interested in seeing how old your system is / how long using this product ? im using a large amount for a 425 Gal. T.W.V and i don't ever get any detectable No3 / Po4 , now i also have a fuge with cheato and Marine Pure blocks , im guessing i have " too much filtration " as corals are pale in color ( before my crash ) . Just wondering how much bio load in relation to filtration ?
I have been using Siporax for about 4 years - 1 1/2 in my current setup. it sounds like you have to much filtration. Siporax is powerful stuff, I overdid it early on my current tank and had to take a bunch out. Now that it's mature, I have a lot more in the tank. Personally I would pull the Marine Pure as they leach Aluminum, and get very brittle as they age so will fall apart if handled.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys think Siporax releases any harmful substances? I don't see how it could as it is basically made out of glass. I've had it in my tank for over 3-4 years and my nitrates are usually under 10. I just recently tested my phosphates and they were sky high (water tuned blue using Hanna meter).

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Siporax for about 4 years - 1 1/2 in my current setup. it sounds like you have to much filtration. Siporax is powerful stuff, I overdid it early on my current tank and had to take a bunch out. Now that it's mature, I have a lot more in the tank. Personally I would pull the Marine Pure as they leach Aluminum, and get very brittle as they age so will fall apart if handled.

Thank you for the response , are you using anything else other than the siporax ? how much are you using in how big of a system ? i bought the largest box available so i have a section in my sump that is roughly
22 x 10 x 18 stacked on top of each other , now based on the information below and the amount i have my question is should i take some out or leave it alone and add more bio load ?

This is a section from the description of Siporax ;

There are oxygen-poor conditions within the tunnels. This makes the bacteria crack nitrate to get enough oxygen. Consequently, they continuously break down nitrate, and the pond water remains low in nitrate. The surface of one liter (one US quart) of sera siporax Professional has almost as much biological breakdown power as 34 liters (9 US gal.) of clay filter material. Calculation formula for sera siporax pond: One single liter (one US quart) sera siporax pond is sufficient for purification of 1,000 liters (264 US gal.) pond water with 20 pond fish of 10 cm (4 in.) length each or a comparable stock [representing approx. 1.5 kg (3.3 lb.) of fish fed with up to 40 g (1.4 oz.) high quality food per day] and release it from organic pollutions in long terms.

If just one liter can do this i can only imagine what 50L does ?

Now every bit of my water has to pass thru these , i did remove all of my marine pure blocks as i had 3 , the siporax has been in my set up now about 5 months . I have also added a few more fish to increase my load ...... hoping to get a balance going with nutrients ,

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response , are you using anything else other than the siporax ? how much are you using in how big of a system ? i bought the largest box available so i have a section in my sump that is roughly
22 x 10 x 18 stacked on top of each other , now based on the information below and the amount i have my question is should i take some out or leave it alone and add more bio load ?

This is a section from the description of Siporax ;

There are oxygen-poor conditions within the tunnels. This makes the bacteria crack nitrate to get enough oxygen. Consequently, they continuously break down nitrate, and the pond water remains low in nitrate. The surface of one liter (one US quart) of sera siporax Professional has almost as much biological breakdown power as 34 liters (9 US gal.) of clay filter material. Calculation formula for sera siporax pond: One single liter (one US quart) sera siporax pond is sufficient for purification of 1,000 liters (264 US gal.) pond water with 20 pond fish of 10 cm (4 in.) length each or a comparable stock [representing approx. 1.5 kg (3.3 lb.) of fish fed with up to 40 g (1.4 oz.) high quality food per day] and release it from organic pollutions in long terms.

If just one liter can do this i can only imagine what 50L does ?

Now every bit of my water has to pass thru these , i did remove all of my marine pure blocks as i had 3 , the siporax has been in my set up now about 5 months . I have also added a few more fish to increase my load ...... hoping to get a balance going with nutrients ,
I also use pond Matrix, but it's mostly Siporax. My system is about 250 gallons. Honestly I don't remember how many liters of Siporax I have in there, but I know it's at least 12. I feed very heavily about 18 cubes per day, and have a good number of fish. I think you're on the right track by removing the Marine pure. See what happens to your nitrate over the next few days, and if it is still low, pul out some Siporax. You'll just have to adjust until you get the right balance.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use pond Matrix, but it's mostly Siporax. My system is about 250 gallons. Honestly I don't remember how many liters of Siporax I have in there, but I know it's at least 12. I feed very heavily about 18 cubes per day, and have a good number of fish. I think you're on the right track by removing the Marine pure. See what happens to your nitrate over the next few days, and if it is still low, pul out some Siporax. You'll just have to adjust until you get the right balance.

ok , took half of the amount i had in my sump out and they are currently in a 5 gallon bucket ( FULL ) and then some , my question is obviously all of the bacteria that was inside , around ,and all over these will die off ..... can i use these same rings i took out at a later time if i need them ? if so do i need to cleen them in ant way or just re introduce them into my sump ( IF NEEDED )

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok , took half of the amount i had in my sump out and they are currently in a 5 gallon bucket ( FULL ) and then some , my question is obviously all of the bacteria that was inside , around ,and all over these will die off ..... can i use these same rings i took out at a later time if i need them ? if so do i need to cleen them in ant way or just re introduce them into my sump ( IF NEEDED )
Yes you definitely can reuse them, however you're right on the money when you ask if they need to be cleaned.. A good rinse to remove any detritus will be sufficient enough.

I personally have approximately 350 gallons and have far less than SawCjack00, I have 6 liters of the 15mm cylinders in my sump, but I also tumble chaeto. I don't feed as much as him either, maybe 4-5 cubes a day.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy's right. I have reused them many times. Just rinse them well then air dry and store them, then when you need them add some back in.

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you definitely can reuse them, however you're right on the money when you ask if they need to be cleaned.. A good rinse to remove any detritus will be sufficient enough.

I personally have approximately 350 gallons and have far less than SawCjack00, I have 6 liters of the 15mm cylinders in my sump, but I also tumble chaeto. I don't feed as much as him either, maybe 4-5 cubes a day.

Thank you for the info i appreciate the feed back

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back