Six line compatibility

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I purchased a six-line from recommendation of LFS. He is the only fish in my tank. I bought it to hunt down any parasitic isopods if there are any left. I have a 29 gal with 20 gal sump. My ultimate goal for my tank is a mixed reef with pair of clowns, fire fish, midas blenny (or orange-spot), and royal gramma. From my understanding the six-line will terrorize most if not all of these fish. How long would be a good time to keep the six-line to eat any isopods before moving him to my brothers bigger and more aggressive tank? What would be the best order for adding the other fish, I’d think any of the blenny, gramma, and fire fish can go first and clowns last? Any help will be much appreciated!

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure others will chime in but my 6 line is peaceful and goes about his business without causing issue with anyone. He surly doesn’t terrorize anyone. 200gal display, besides him have leopard wrasse, blue hippo, pair of Anthias, royal gramma, pair of flame hawks, Midas blenny, four clowns, crabs and shrimp. I would consider keeping him and not moving.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure others will chime in but my 6 line is peaceful and goes about his business without causing issue with anyone. He surly doesn’t terrorize anyone. 200gal display, besides him have leopard wrasse, blue hippo, pair of Anthias, royal gramma, pair of flame hawks, Midas blenny, four clowns, crabs and shrimp. I would consider keeping him and not moving.
So even in a 29 gal with that fish choice he should be good? And the other fish I don’t need to add in any particular order?

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line in a 32g biocube and he was the second to last fish added... but he became the last fish added. He won't let me put anything else in the tank. He's been in there for about 6 months, and does not welcome visitors.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line in a 32g biocube and he was the second to last fish added... but he became the last fish added. He won't let me put anything else in the tank. He's been in there for about 6 months, and does not welcome visitors.
Oh wow. Sounds hit or miss with them. How do you tell if they’re not compatible? Them attacking the other ones?

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to say. I’ve had six lines before this one and never had an issue - granted all bigger tanks. I’ve only had issues with clowns and tangs fighting. For me six lines are a must have so I’d try to keep him if I were you. I don’t think order matters unless you were adding another wrasse.

but as mentioned above perhaps others have had different experience. My six line was one of the first fish I put in and again no issues. Even didn’t bother a much smaller clown goby (which I had to remove because he liked the taste of acros) that was added much later. Could be my tank size though.

I forgot a few fish too. Lol. Apologies to my Yellow watchman

Last edited:

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Sounds hit or miss with them. How do you tell if they’re not compatible? Them attacking the other ones?
Actually i take that back, i was able to add a starry blenny without incident. Before that he attacked a Molly, and a royal gramma

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I’ve had six lines before this one and never had an issue - granted all bigger tanks. I’ve only had issues with clowns and tangs fighting. For me six lines are a must have so I’d try to keep him if I were you. I don’t think order matters unless you were adding another wrasse.

but as mentioned above perhaps others have had different experience. My six line was one of the first fish I put in and again no issues. Even didn’t bother a much smaller clown goby (which I had to remove because he liked the taste of acros) that was added much later. Could be my tank size though.
It can’t hurt much to give it a try lol. My brothers tank is just the next room over so I can always transfer over there if I see aggression.

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line is very peaceful. I have a transparent cave goby and a pink diamond goby as well as a few different tanks cleaner shrimps clowns falco hawk. Coral beauty. They all play nice.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 line is very peaceful. I have a transparent cave goby and a pink diamond goby as well as a few different tanks cleaner shrimps clowns falco hawk. Coral beauty. They all play nice.
That’s good to hear :) Hopefully it’ll work out for me that way

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything I have read they do vary. I have a Sixline in my 65g tank with 5 other fish and he (or she, can’t tell) is a model citizen. I do feel that adding him, along with all the other fish fairly quickly as juveniles (all added over a 6 month period) helped them all adapt to each other and get along. He stands up for himself more than the others, as does the female Occ Clown and Yellow Tang, but he is by no means a bully. The other three are more subservient (male Clown, Orchid Dottyback and Lawnmower Blennie).

In a smaller tank it may be more chancy. A Carpenter or McCosker’s Wrasse may be a better choice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back