Six-line getting very aggressive with newcomers

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29gal reef tank with a 20gal sump. I planned a peaceful tank but ended up getting a six-line after an isopod took out another fish. I got it hoping it would eat the rest if there were any others. He was all happy until today I added a pair of clowns. Within seconds of adding them he was attacking them. It's not just a nip here or there he's constantly chasing and nipping them even during feeding. I guess since he had the whole tank to himself he thinks it is all his. Should I banish him to the refuge so he forgets his territory? If so how long? Or should I just move him over to my brothers tank that has more aggressive fish like a dotty back and damsel? Any advice please, don't want these beautiful designer clowns to get stressed and die.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 29gal reef tank with a 20gal sump. I planned a peaceful tank but ended up getting a six-line after an isopod took out another fish. I got it hoping it would eat the rest if there were any others. He was all happy until today I added a pair of clowns. Within seconds of adding them he was attacking them. It's not just a nip here or there he's constantly chasing and nipping them even during feeding. I guess since he had the whole tank to himself he thinks it is all his. Should I banish him to the refuge so he forgets his territory? If so how long? Or should I just move him over to my brothers tank that has more aggressive fish like a dotty back and damsel? Any advice please, don't want these beautiful designer clowns to get stressed and die.
You can try putting him in an acclimation box - and add the other fish - then add him/her back. But - this tends to happen - when you add fish to an established tank. From my experience - these wrasses can tend to want to 'rule the roost' so to speak

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put him in try sump until the clowns establish themselves, reaquascape and try it again. If that doesn't work move him with the dottyback and damsels. They can usually hold their own.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try putting him in an acclimation box - and add the other fish - then add him/her back. But - this tends to happen - when you add fish to an established tank. From my experience - these wrasses can tend to want to 'rule the roost' so to speak
I don't have an acclimation box. Do you recommend one of the acrylic ones or net ones? And I'm assuming a lid would probably be best. How long should I leave him in there for?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put him in try sump until the clowns establish themselves, reaquascape and try it again. If that doesn't work move him with the dottyback and damsels. They can usually hold their own.
I don't really have the option to aquascape as corals are glued in place and my rocks don't have much variation. Would putting him in the sump make him 'forget' the layout and his territory?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I did notice he has chilled out a little bit after the pumps came back on after feeding. What would you guys consider too much aggression that needs to be corrected?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have an acclimation box. Do you recommend one of the acrylic ones or net ones? And I'm assuming a lid would probably be best. How long should I leave him in there for?
acrylic. The advantage to this (as compared to the sump - to me) - is that the fish can all see each other and get used to each other.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also I did notice he has chilled out a little bit after the pumps came back on after feeding. What would you guys consider too much aggression that needs to be corrected?
In all honesty - I tend to let the fish 'work it out' - unless there is constant damage or chasing. If you look on the reef - there is always some of this going on. That said - I believe that 6 Line wrasses can be somewhat notorious. I have a dotty back - which is also supposed to be 'notorious' - and it hides in caves until feeding time. I would try to maximize swimming area, etc.

tunawarz7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with my six line as well. It basically killed 3 of my fish over time before I finally got rid of him. I add a yellow canary wrasse in its place hoping it will do its job eating pest in the tank. It’s been over 2 months now and all of the other fishes in the tank are much more active and happier.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty - I tend to let the fish 'work it out' - unless there is constant damage or chasing. If you look on the reef - there is always some of this going on. That said - I believe that 6 Line wrasses can be somewhat notorious. I have a dotty back - which is also supposed to be 'notorious' - and it hides in caves until feeding time. I would try to maximize swimming area, etc.
Yeah I’m trying to let it play out right now. It’s looking good so far but I’ll keep observing.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with my six line as well. It basically killed 3 of my fish over time before I finally got rid of him. I add a yellow canary wrasse in its place hoping it will do its job eating pest in the tank. It’s been over 2 months now and all of the other fishes in the tank are much more active and happier.
Yeah I’ve heard lot of opinions on them. Definitely keeping my eye out for excessive aggression

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line in a 29G, Yeah his aggression probable is only going to get worse. They are notorious for being killers. You can try an acclimation box, or sump him, but I doubt it will change anything

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line in a 29G, Yeah his aggression probable is only going to get worse. They are notorious for being killers. You can try an acclimation box, or sump him, but I doubt it will change anything
Do you have any other, more peaceful and small pest management options?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how new you are, but might want to stay away from the leopards, unless your tank is quite mature.

Either corris, or melanarus are easier fish to take care of.
Yeah I’m pretty new. Tank is only 1.5 months old. Tank is getting there fast because of uncured live rock but definitely not mature yet. Thank you for pointing that out

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread. Since you are new, I would look into the corris or melanarus. Both striking fish that are great pest hunters, and very peaceful.

That KP rock will provide quite a few pods to your system, but I would still stay clear of the leopard till you have some more time under your belt. Although they are hands down my favorite wrasse, they can be a very finicky fish.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines are known for being jerks... Might try switching up your rockwork a little which can lead the fish to reestablishing territory and curb aggression
giphy.gif

Back