Six-line getting very aggressive with newcomers

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29gal reef tank with a 20gal sump. I planned a peaceful tank but ended up getting a six-line after an isopod took out another fish. I got it hoping it would eat the rest if there were any others. He was all happy until today I added a pair of clowns. Within seconds of adding them he was attacking them. It's not just a nip here or there he's constantly chasing and nipping them even during feeding. I guess since he had the whole tank to himself he thinks it is all his. Should I banish him to the refuge so he forgets his territory? If so how long? Or should I just move him over to my brothers tank that has more aggressive fish like a dotty back and damsel? Any advice please, don't want these beautiful designer clowns to get stressed and die.
I’ve heard that airline wrasses are aggressive and tend to be put in last after the rest of your friends are established

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out your build thread. Since you are new, I would look into the corris or melanarus. Both striking fish that are great pest hunters, and very peaceful.

That KP rock will provide quite a few pods to your system, but I would still stay clear of the leopard till you have some more time under your belt. Although they are hands down my favorite wrasse, they can be a very finicky fish.
Yeah I’m debating between those two now. Kinda mad because I’ve seeded with 1 bottle of tisbe pods and 2 bottles of tiger pods and they’re nowhere to be seen. Have a fuge with chaeto and dose live phyto everyday, I don’t get it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any other, more peaceful and small pest management options?
get a harliquin tusk - it literally ate every crab, snail, etc of my clean up crew lol. but - no just kidding - they get too big - but there are no inverts in my tank. I was actually thinking about getting a new clean-up crew - but I've noted - I havent had any issues without one. I would like some shrimp - but I think they would be immediate dinner....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I’m debating between those two now. Kinda mad because I’ve seeded with 1 bottle of tisbe pods and 2 bottles of tiger pods and they’re nowhere to be seen. Have a fuge with chaeto and dose live phyto everyday, I don’t get it.
I would be patient - try the acclimation box - let the other fish establish territory - and see what happens (if you like the fish) - if you're dont care - I agree with others - get rid.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be patient - try the acclimation box - let the other fish establish territory - and see what happens (if you like the fish) - if you're dont care - I agree with others - get rid.
I wasn’t too attached. I sold it today. I’d rather not risk it especially with hoping yo get other gobies and such that are more vulnerable to aggression

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a harliquin tusk - it literally ate every crab, snail, etc of my clean up crew lol. but - no just kidding - they get too big - but there are no inverts in my tank. I was actually thinking about getting a new clean-up crew - but I've noted - I havent had any issues without one. I would like some shrimp - but I think they would be immediate dinner....
I love my inverts. I have tons of feather dusters and a few snails. Hoping to get some more snails soon too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my inverts. I have tons of feather dusters and a few snails. Hoping to get some more snails soon too
I was kidding about the tusk lol:)... I was just saying they eat everything. I liked all of my other life as well - I bought him - he is beautiful- about 5 inches or a little longer (actually its a female) - she literally picked up every crab, snail, etc ate it and piled the shells in a small area in the front corner of the tank. I keep wondering what was going on until he saw her actually do it

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t always agree with the late Bob Fenner but he says Six Lines need at least a 90-100 gallon tank to have a chance to calm down.
Yeah now that I look back I bought him on impulse. I was very upset about an isopod killing my fish, I caught a couple by hand but wanted to make sure there were no more even though nothing was ending up in my traps after a week. I bought what my LFS recommended without doing research. If I go with another wrasse I'll probably go with the pink-striped just due to the size of my tank and my stocking plans.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few more peaceful pest control options:
Possum or pink streaked wrasses are peaceful to the point of maybe too peaceful. They should probably be established before clowns are added.
The other option are Springer damsels. Yes they are damsels but having 4 of them in two different tanks they are without question more peaceful in general than any clownfish but at the same time savvy enough to dodge aggression and still go about their business of picking pods and pest. They spend their time picking at flatworms, pods and everything wrasses do (I don't think anything cruises the rock work like a sixline but they do the job). I have 3 in a 3ft 30g and each one maintains a 1ft territory peacefully. They went in with an established clown which occasionally attacks them especially during feeding but they simple side step her without even leaving the area. Clown is too slow and they know it.
I have one in a biocube 14 with a clown (only two fish). Clown was in first but Springer is a tiny bit bigger than the clown. The clown occasionally tries to assert it's dominance and for the most part dodges but when fed up does not back down and clown goes about it's business. NONE of them initiate violence but being damsels should still go in last. Order of adding and size is everything when it comes to compatibility in a small tank. Longer tanks work better (my 30g long is 1 gallon more than a 29g but probably twice as good for aggression management as vertical real estate isn't as useful). I've kept sixline wrasses in my 30g and with royal grandma's, clowns, blennies and never had an aggression problem. My problem was them eventually jumping out the tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back