Six Line Wrasse attacking Strawberry Dottyback

ttf5003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've had a Six Line wrasse in my Nuvo IM 40 since last February along with a pair of clowns and a watchman Goby.

Yesterday I brought home a Strawberry Dottyback and the Wrasse started biting at it today. I'm seeing visible wounds on the back of the dottyback. I called my local fish store and they abruptly said they wouldn't take the dottyback and hung up. The store I got him from his almost 2 hours away. With the New Years holiday my options are diminishing.

Is there any chance of them starting to get along after a day or two? Or should I be exhausting all options to find a home for the dottyback?

Thanks,

Travis

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

I've had a Six Line wrasse in my Nuvo IM 40 since last February along with a pair of clowns and a watchman Goby.

Yesterday I brought home a Strawberry Dottyback and the Wrasse started biting at it today. I'm seeing visible wounds on the back of the dottyback. I called my local fish store and they abruptly said they wouldn't take the dottyback and hung up. The store I got him from his almost 2 hours away. With the New Years holiday my options are diminishing.

Is there any chance of them starting to get along after a day or two? Or should I be exhausting all options to find a home for the dottyback?

Thanks,

Travis
Not surprised- They can be territorial je*ks and favor bullying smaller fish. You may have to isolate the 6 line for a couple of weeks in a container such as isolation box

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you change your rockscape slightly to create a different environment. Sometimes this changes aggressive fish focus.

OP
OP
T

ttf5003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could run to Petsmart and get a critter cage and put the wrasse in. You think he might be ok on re release? Would he be stressed out waiting in there for a few weeks?

I don't think changing the aquascape will help. He's attacking him wherever he tries to hide.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could run to Petsmart and get a critter cage and put the wrasse in. You think he might be ok on re release? Would he be stressed out waiting in there for a few weeks?

I don't think changing the aquascape will help. He's attacking him wherever he tries to hide.
You can also try a mirror on the side of the tank to distract the wrasse. This with moving a couple rocks should suffice otherwise your other fish might not last the weekend.

OP
OP
T

ttf5003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the tips, I got a mirror hung up and I did change the aquascape some. Makes sense that it could disorient the wrasse.

Hope it helps!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back