Six line wrasses cause of death

W1thr0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 2 six line wrasses online. One arrived dead with spots and a web like film peeling off.

The second appeared fine, added him to the tank. (Didn’t have a quarantine tank set up but working on one now) the next afternoon he seemed uninterested in eating and also had a film peeling off him. Within a few hours he was laying on the bottom of the tank. I removed him and put him in a container with water from the tank. Noticed the film had completely came off and all that was left was a bunch of white spots, bloated belly on one side and what looks like part of his lip missing. I do have another six line wrasses in the tank that is much smaller. Saw them near each other a few times but never saw them mess with each other. We watched them closely and a few other fish we had added to the tank (all tangs). Online supplier suggested the smaller six line had possibly been attacking it but it looks like it was infected with something the same as the one that arrived DOA. Any thoughts or suggestions?
6line in cut water bottle was the DOA.

74943549-9847-4BF9-82C1-8ECFC18C5267.jpeg B119F9DA-4591-4EA4-9420-32A726DFD7F0.jpeg 7DB8C1DC-EE2E-468A-91C9-A2EDEE316215.jpeg 5CF423B0-F0CE-472D-933D-0481B07C0C5E.jpeg A2C68FF0-343D-4CEE-B63A-709F5F19ACA0.jpeg 88B75706-5444-4D51-9D2A-FDA0CA07433F.png 190BC35B-8D35-4721-9452-450BC7D46B2B.png 7FB9D97E-6EC1-4DB6-B3F7-286DF448FDF4.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sloughing of the mucous along with the spots definitely points towards a severe infection. What was the breathing rate of the second wrasse when you found it laying down? Given the rate of developing symptoms, a severe protozoan illness seems likely, possibly brooklynella or marine velvet. Although severe ich is possible, given the rate that your second wrasse became ill, the former two are far more likely in this scenario. Since you added the second wrasse to the display tank, you can assume that the rest of your fish will become infected, so you'll need to start quarantining and treating your fish immediately. If this is indeed brooklynella, the most effective treatment is a 45-minute formalin bath, followed by transfer into a sterile environment. Repeat this until all symptoms are gone, but don't overtreat, since formalin can be toxic if used improperly. You will need to follow up with a fallow period of 6 weeks at minimum to ensure all living protozoans are dead in your display tank.

OP
OP
W

W1thr0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sloughing of the mucous along with the spots definitely points towards a severe infection. What was the breathing rate of the second wrasse when you found it laying down? Given the rate of developing symptoms, a severe protozoan illness seems likely, possibly brooklynella. Since you added the second wrasse to the display tank, you can assume that the rest of your fish will become infected, so you'll need to start quarantining and treating your fish immediately. If this is indeed brooklynella, the most effective treatment is a 45-minute formalin bath, followed by transfer into a sterile environment. Repeat this until all symptoms are gone, but don't overtreat, since formalin can be toxic if used improperly. You will need to follow up with a fallow period of 6 weeks at minimum to ensure all living protozoans are dead in your display tank.
Wrasse was breathing heavily/hard/fast.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse was breathing heavily/hard/fast.
In this case, and based on the pictures of your second wrasse, marine velvet seems highly likely. This disease causes rapid breathing since it attacks the gills and causes an abundance of mucus. Given that your second fish did not initially look infected, ich seems rather unlikely as the cause of death. I cannot yet rule out brooklynella, since the thick mucus coat does point to that disease as well. Either way, both velvet and brook are highly contagious, and all of your fish must therefore be isolated from the display tank and treated immediately. For velvet, copper is a commonly used treatment, and a fallow period of at least 45 days is recommended.

OP
OP
W

W1thr0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, and based on the pictures of your second wrasse, marine velvet seems highly likely. This disease causes rapid breathing since it attacks the gills and causes an abundance of mucus. Given that your second fish did not initially look infected, ich seems rather unlikely as the cause of death. I cannot yet rule out brooklynella, since the thick mucus coat does point to that disease as well. Either way, both velvet and brook are highly contagious, and all of your fish must therefore be isolated from the display tank and treated immediately. For velvet, copper is a commonly used treatment, and a fallow period of at least 45 days is recommended.
Should I go with treating for brook or velvet? Is there a treatment for both or alternate treatments or would that be too much?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go with treating for brook or velvet? Is there a treatment for both or alternate treatments or would that be too much?
It is not typically wise to treat for both diseases as once, since the medications can be quite harsh on the fish. Your first picture and descriptions of heavy mucus to me indicate brook, though the spots on your second wrasse appear more like ich or velvet. I'd wait on a second opinion, though personally, this seems most like brook to me, and should be treated as such. Ruby Reef rally is a commonly used medication, since it can be difficult to acquire formalin. Ruby Reef baths are typically 90 minutes, since it contains a diluted amount of formalin. Formalin is also rather effective on marine velvet, so if you are unsure, you could try to use it to treat for both (though I am not 100% sure on this, since I have never used formalin for ich or velvet)

If you could post more pictures of the living one, that would be great. I'm not sure whether I am seeing cysts on the fish or if they are bubbles. Cysts would largely rule out brook, since it is not known for having an encysted stage the way that ich or velvet do.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 2 six line wrasses online. One arrived dead with spots and a web like film peeling off.

The second appeared fine, added him to the tank. (Didn’t have a quarantine tank set up but working on one now) the next afternoon he seemed uninterested in eating and also had a film peeling off him. Within a few hours he was laying on the bottom of the tank. I removed him and put him in a container with water from the tank. Noticed the film had completely came off and all that was left was a bunch of white spots, bloated belly on one side and what looks like part of his lip missing. I do have another six line wrasses in the tank that is much smaller. Saw them near each other a few times but never saw them mess with each other. We watched them closely and a few other fish we had added to the tank (all tangs). Online supplier suggested the smaller six line had possibly been attacking it but it looks like it was infected with something the same as the one that arrived DOA. Any thoughts or suggestions?
6line in cut water bottle was the DOA.

74943549-9847-4BF9-82C1-8ECFC18C5267.jpeg B119F9DA-4591-4EA4-9420-32A726DFD7F0.jpeg 7DB8C1DC-EE2E-468A-91C9-A2EDEE316215.jpeg 5CF423B0-F0CE-472D-933D-0481B07C0C5E.jpeg A2C68FF0-343D-4CEE-B63A-709F5F19ACA0.jpeg 88B75706-5444-4D51-9D2A-FDA0CA07433F.png 190BC35B-8D35-4721-9452-450BC7D46B2B.png 7FB9D97E-6EC1-4DB6-B3F7-286DF448FDF4.png
Is the online vendor one that has a good history? DOAs can happen to anyone, but that combined with the mucus and then the second one dying a short time later points to the fish not being in good shape when they arrived. Any delay to the shipment?
Jay

OP
OP
W

W1thr0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the online vendor one that has a good history? DOAs can happen to anyone, but that combined with the mucus and then the second one dying a short time later points to the fish not being in good shape when they arrived. Any delay to the shipment?
Jay
Ordered from reef beauties.
No delay on shipping. Arrived quickly after placing the order. Ordered a few tangs, lawn mower blenny, Tiger watchman gobie, all of those seem to be doing very well so far.

OP
OP
W

W1thr0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sail fin tang does look to have some wart looking like bumps on his top fin that I didn’t see before. No idea what that could be. Could try to get a picture but he moves around a lot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back