SJ's 29 BioCube Build Thread

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new-to-me BioCube 29 with no lights. I inherited live sand, live rock, the tank, and the stand.
After putting it in the spot of the 16 (after moving that tank catty corner) I put the Live Rock in, some new Special Grade aragonite and the water that was in the buckets with the LR. I then did a serious water change on the 16 and put that out water into the 29. Filled the rest with fresh new salt water.
86883518-5B04-4464-B39C-9D807738B62C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation attempts. I needed a way to shut down the return and the flow for feeding and return only for water changes. Previously I’d unplug things from the power strip. Then I got a splitter so I only had one unplug. This guy allows me to do that with an app from my phone without unplugging. It also has a feature that lets me schedule on/off at an outlet level. So I can remove the power head flow in the wee hours for an hour or two.

AlphaWorks Smart Plug Outlet Compatible with Alexa Amazon Echo and Google Assistant WiFi Wireless Remote/Voice Control Timer No Hub Required 3 AC Outlets 110V 15A 1875W Rated

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation attempts. I previously had an Inkbird on my 16G tank, but because I wanted to leave that one up and running, I needed another Inkbird. I decided to get the WiFi enabled one and can monitor stuff from an app on my phone.

i even got crazy and mounted it with Velcro on the door:
image.jpg

Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Aquarium Thermostat for Aquarium Heater and Cooler, with Waterproof Sensor

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a controller without a fan?
image.jpg

works really well and is fairly quiet. I cut a hole and used small stainless screws on two corners with some silicon glue on the tips that poked through. Probably going to add a second one.

ELUTENG 40mm USB Fan with 3 Speed Control USB Ventilator 5V Max 5300RPM High Flow VR Cooling Fan Compatible for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights. It isn’t optimal height but I run the AI 16HD with Diffuser on the top of my tank in a hole I cut. I have the ability to go topless later to take it up to more optimal height.
image.jpg

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation attempts. I previously had an Inkbird on my 16G tank, but because I wanted to leave that one up and running, I needed another Inkbird. I decided to get the WiFi enabled one and can monitor stuff from an app on my phone.

i even got crazy and mounted it with Velcro on the door:
image.jpg

Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Aquarium Thermostat for Aquarium Heater and Cooler, with Waterproof Sensor

Apparently the front "skin" comes off a little too easily for my velcro mounts, so had to velcro the edges instead.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao OP-25 was too much flow even at the lowest setting. Acro was losing skin and Montis in the flow path looked like sandpaper. Swapped in the Hygger from the 16. If I decide to keep the 16 rolling, I will have to replace that. Now playing with some "rougher" settings on the Hygger than I had in the 16.
Had set the time back 5 hours already. so 1224-2040-3414-4413-5228 is what I'm working with right now.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05C6048D-3FA3-4F48-95C6-2F684B40356D.jpeg

So, my InTank fuge section wasn’t doing much as anything I put in it would dump out when I would pull out either InTank piece. Because I purchased this tank secondhand, the original media basket was gone. I did have to one from my 16. I superglued the sides of that one to the sides of the fuge basket and now it is mostly enclosed but with still a lot of flow-through area.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a pod hotel tonight. Home Depot part was $8 and change. I cut one 2.5” strip from the long way. I then cut 2.5” squares. Got exactly 11 squares.
I used this article : http://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-cheap-pod-hotel-project.168424/ as a template. Once I had the 11 squares 2.5” x 2.5”, I began trimming each side of 9 of them (alternating 3 grooves on one side and 2 grooves on the other) and one side of the other 2. (Top and bottom)
106B14DA-CD01-4540-A0CD-398856172009.jpeg
EAFFC2E4-9234-43C6-A11E-5A4B76992C3C.jpeg
0DF783EA-A1B8-4F63-8D43-BA1A73F75CE2.jpeg

Gluing them together. Looks like this:
image.jpg

They are alternating.

OP
OP
WilyGuy

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a BioCube skimmer that I picked up on eBay that I had been trying to use in this tank. Problem was the suction cups wouldn’t find purchase in the first chamber. This was due to all the indents in the chamber, growth of sponges and other bumpy stuff, as well as likely old suction cups. I used a razor blade to clean the back and the side away from chamber 2, but that wasn’t enough for it to stay stuck. So I got creative.
Egg crate cut down so that it could go to the bottom and fit just under the lip of the chamber. It isn’t a tight fit but it’s close enough. I’ve zip tied the skimmer to it. Works great and there is a little wobble when I take off the collection cup but I don’t worry about the overall placement now.
99474ADC-91E5-4DFA-B96E-3F333AB4A4D4.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back