Skimmate locker issue

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Davy Jones skimmate locker and have been having issues setting it up to shut off correctly.

Its hooked up to a Lifereef skimmer, and the air tubing which should signal the switch to shut off the pump is probably about 10' long. Connections seem tight in the tubing as its no different than RO setup. I have inserted the tubing and its shield all the way into the locker, and the locker will fill completely and the pump will never be shut off. Seems kinda weird to me, but also seems there isn't enough pressure in the canister to create the force needed to trigger the switch.

Anyone else have issues getting this to work or can give some pointers to what I could possibly be doing wrong?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you reach out to @AVAST Marine? They will support you!

I have reached out to them, and they have helped to ensure I was setting it up right. But, I am still having issues getting it to work, so I was just putting feelers out to see if there is something unique I could be missing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reached out to them, and they have helped to ensure I was setting it up right. But, I am still having issues getting it to work, so I was just putting feelers out to see if there is something unique I could be missing.
Triple check to make sure you have the tube pushed all the way into the fittings. The connection to my pressure switch was pretty hard to get fully inserted and it leaked air until I did properly connect it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add that I had to do some trouble shooting to figure it out. I cleaned and sanitized the piece that goes into the locker. Then I blew in it to see if I could actuate the switch. If you blow on it and air keeps flowing, you have an air leak. You should hear a clicking sound from the control box if it is working correctly.
Just clean it REALLY WELL before blowing on it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Connection issue. There is access to air escaping

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add that I had to do some trouble shooting to figure it out. I cleaned and sanitized the piece that goes into the locker. Then I blew in it to see if I could actuate the switch. If you blow on it and air keeps flowing, you have an air leak. You should hear a clicking sound from the control box if it is working correctly.
Just clean it REALLY WELL before blowing on it!

Thank you for the response. I know that I am able to blow on it the get the switch to activate, but I have yet to try an extended blow to see about back pressure. I am pretty confident on the connections, but I will triple check this afternoon. I do know from blowing on it in the past that the control box switch does activate.

It's just strange in my opinion that an air bubble is being trapped in the tube, yet the pump doesn't shut off and water is able to rise to the top and out.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I know that I am able to blow on it the get the switch to activate, but I have yet to try an extended blow to see about back pressure. I am pretty confident on the connections, but I will triple check this afternoon. I do know from blowing on it in the past that the control box switch does activate.

It's just strange in my opinion that an air bubble is being trapped in the tube, yet the pump doesn't shut off and water is able to rise to the top and out.
Do you have the stand alone kind, or does it plug into a controller?

It should take very little pressure to get the switch to make. Just a very light breath and it should block further air flow. Does it trip off when you blow on it?

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the stand alone kind, or does it plug into a controller?

It should take very little pressure to get the switch to make. Just a very light breath and it should block further air flow. Does it trip off when you blow on it?

I have the stand alone kind. It does trip when I blow on it from the tube, just doesn't trip when water level rises in the locker.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stand alone kind. It does trip when I blow on it from the tube, just doesn't trip when water level rises in the locker.
Good... makes that part easy. I'm going to stick with my gut feel that the tube isn't fully inserted into the switch box. Hopefully that is it!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO tubing goes into the clear acrylic pressure tube which goes into the grommet in the locker lid? Not sure how you get fluid in the tubing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO tubing goes into the clear acrylic pressure tube which goes into the grommet in the locker lid? Not sure how you get fluid in the tubing.
They way it works is that when the water level rises to the level of the pressure tube it locks in the air. As water level continues to rise, it compresses the air in the tube until it actuates the pressure switch. Ideally, no water ever gets more than a little way up the acrylic tube.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They way it works is that when the water level rises to the level of the pressure tube it locks in the air. As water level continues to rise, it compresses the air in the tube until it actuates the pressure switch. Ideally, no water ever gets more than a little way up the acrylic tube.

Understood, I have a couple in use on my system. OPs description just struck me as odd.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back