skimmer air intake outdoors, how are you capping it?

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a window less than 6 feet from my tank and I will be setting up my skimmer to draw air from outside. My question is:
what can I put on the end of the line that is outdoors to keep water, bugs or debris from going into the line without restricting the air?

Some pics of others setup would help me or a brief description of what you are using?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a window less than 6 feet from my tank and I will be setting up my skimmer to draw air from outside. My question is:
what can I put on the end of the line that is outdoors to keep water, bugs or debris from going into the line without restricting the air?

Some pics of others setup would help me or a brief description of what you are using?
I did mine like this. Removed glass window pain replaced it with 1/4 plexi glass and installed a bulk head to it. Then street 1 1/2 90 elbow pointed down with a strainer

1C0CB29B-63AE-4E8D-83DD-1B73B9D8695B.png

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use foam that I grabbed from Petco. Cut the block into the shape I wanted and put a hole in it and stuck it on the pipe. Works great!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I am using for my outside aid draw. Its made from PVC and has filter floss inside. I also run a section of PVC inline filled with more filter floss and activated carbon to filter the air before it gets to the skimmer. I always worry about neighbors spraying weed killer or bug killers so the carbon is inline to help prevent that from being an issue.
outsideairdraw.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my setup, I went thru the Wood Brick Molding by my French Door, which is Patchable. Dacron/Charcoal/Dacron, in a Plastic Jar, in case any Aerosols are sprayed in the area.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a piece of pipe on the end that I put a layer of filter floss, then carbon, and then another layer of filter floss. I really doubt the carbon did anything but I saw a video recommending it so that how I did it. If/when I re-do it I will just put some kind of strainer on the end, maybe just an airstone like @KStatefan showed.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a piece of pipe on the end that I put a layer of filter floss, then carbon, and then another layer of filter floss. I really doubt the carbon did anything but I saw a video recommending it so that how I did it. If/when I re-do it I will just put some kind of strainer on the end, maybe just an airstone like @KStatefan showed.

I am thinking about plumbing a 10" canister inside with carbon.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be way to worried about random pest control sprays. I would rather draw from the attic perhaps or pass it into a carbon block first

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be way to worried about random pest control sprays. I would rather draw from the attic perhaps or pass it into a carbon block first
Definitely something that has to be remembered when spraying any kind of pesticide around the house, or if you live close enough to another house that a neighbor could spray near it.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely something that has to be remembered when spraying any kind of pesticide around the house, or if you live close enough to another house that a neighbor could spray near it.
Or you have an HOA that has people do this stuff and they are beyond idiotic with every task.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run airline into my attic - tubing will be 18 feet up the wall and to an open area of the attic , will the airline create too much negative pressure? Will I need to add a pump ?

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run airline into my attic - tubing will be 18 feet up the wall and to an open area of the attic , will the airline create too much negative pressure? Will I need to add a pump ?
Use a larger diameter pipe then. May also want to think. What is in the attic. Insulation dust? Fumigation ever?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for raising older topic....

So, few months now i run hose from skimmer into my basement, to draw fresh air from outside.....

Basement is clean, with open windows with mesh, so nothing can get inside, and so far, no problems at all...

But i'm wondering..... Should i add some way of filtration, add some box or something with carbon, just to be sure?

Also, when connected like that, do i need to connect hose to silencer, or can i eliminate him and connect hose directly?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back