Skimmer and mechanical filtration help

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on my skimmer and mechanical filtration setup in a IM fusion pro 2 50g. When I purchased the skimmer I got confused between the Tunze 9004 and 9001. I ordered the 9004 and it only fits in three locations on my tank (slot 1 and 5 or center). It should be noted it will only fit those locations sideways. My problem is I'd like to utilize a filter socket and media basket.

1. Should I run the skimmer and media basket in slot 1 and 5(ditching the sock)

2. Should I run the sock and media basket in 1 and 5 but run the skimmer in the middle section. This would force me to only utilize 1 of my water returns.

3. Should I run the skimmer and media basket in 1 and 5 with the filter sock next to the other flow into the return chamber. This would involve getting a small piece of acrylic and glueing in to hold the other side of the sock

Im thinking about number 2 and putting the adjustable Y piece after the single return to somewhat evenly distributed the water. What do yall think?

IMG_20220607_183056.jpg IMG_20220607_183216.jpg IMG_20220607_183751.jpg Screenshot_20220607-181533.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say to go with option #2 but I would always run mechanical first then skimmer then media but with these aio s your at the mercy of the builder of these units . That being said #2 but make sure you have some type of mechanical filtration before the media ,if not your media will get preclogged . I personally don’t like aio for that reason . And years ago when I had one I ended up using the whole inside withi floss and sponge and ran a overflow down to a sump . Please don’t let that influence you to do the same as I have seen people obtain success with them . I’ve always been a over kill type of person . To me it was more important to have more filtration and water volume to the system . Good luck !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Media basket at overflow and skimmer on opposite end. I and many I know of had no luck with 9004 skimmer.
Should it Not meet your wxpectations, consider Ice Cap K1-50- or 100 model

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say to go with option #2 but I would always run mechanical first then skimmer then media but with these aio s your at the mercy of the builder of these units . That being said #2 but make sure you have some type of mechanical filtration before the media ,if not your media will get preclogged . I personally don’t like aio for that reason . And years ago when I had one I ended up using the whole inside withi floss and sponge and ran a overflow down to a sump . Please don’t let that influence you to do the same as I have seen people obtain success with them . I’ve always been a over kill type of person . To me it was more important to have more filtration and water volume to the system . Good luck !!!
I appreciate your reply. There will definitely be filter floss before the media.

So I actually choose the aio because I am an overkill person lol. My goal was to spend less time obsessing over the tank and just having something cool for the kids! I've go crazy with one of my other many hobbies.

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media basket at overflow and skimmer on opposite end. I and many I know of had no luck with 9004 skimmer.
Should it Not meet your wxpectations, consider Ice Cap K1-50- or 100 model
Can I ask what problems you had with the 9004? It seemed to have great reviews.

My goal in the beginning was to go with an icecap but read some bad reviews and noticed they were discontinued.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with aio’s at all . I just got obsessed with the filtration on mine . Enjoy

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would put the skimmer as close to the main drain return as possible, media basket after the skimmer or opposite (i think that’s a “dual return” setup from what I can see) and ditch the socks and use filter floss as a late stage polisher close to a return. Or just ditch it completely. I know the filter floss idea is kinda backwards in the stages we normally do, but the skimmer will pull chunks out. I’m not a big believer in filter socks, especially in an AIO.

EDIT: skimmer on one end floss/media on the other - ditch the socks. Final answer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can I ask what problems you had with the 9004? It seemed to have great reviews.

My goal in the beginning was to go with an icecap but read some bad reviews and noticed they were discontinued.
Motor sometimes slipped out of housing stopping skimmer operation and weak air at times to chamber

OP
OP
GermanDreams

GermanDreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would put the skimmer as close to the main drain return as possible, media basket after the skimmer or opposite (i think that’s a “dual return” setup from what I can see) and ditch the socks and use filter floss as a late stage polisher close to a return. Or just ditch it completely. I know the filter floss idea is kinda backwards in the stages we normally do, but the skimmer will pull chunks out. I’m not a big believer in filter socks, especially in an AIO.

EDIT: skimmer on one end floss/media on the other - ditch the socks. Final answer.
It is a dual return setup so, the media basket at one of the returns and the skimmer at the others. Sould I put filter floss under the skimmer or in the sections next to the returner section?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220607-181533~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220607-181533~2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 25

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a dual return setup so, the media basket at one of the returns and the skimmer at the others. Sould I put filter floss under the skimmer or in the sections next to the returner section?
Assuming the skimmer/media won’t fit in those FF chambers then yes. But your media will clog a bit sooner. If you can do filter floss then media, I wouldn’t bother with the filter floss on the skimmer side. Do what you are comfortable with. Regardless of where you put filter floss it’ll prob need changed weekly maybe sooner just like a sock.

evo187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the skimmer in one of the overflow chambers and the basket with filter floss/media in the other. This lessens the chance of micro bubbles if it is ran int he return section, and even with a ATO the return chamber level fluctuate slightly which could effect the skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back