Skimmer/Co2 Scrubber tuning/Overflow

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oye. No change. Was empty when I went to bed.

May have to try with just a line out of the tank I guess

I am familiar with this. I am ditching CO2 scrubbers (for now) because they did not solve my problem. Here's my experience.

Problem -- So what you are experiencing is what I believe is a vacuum that the recirculating system forms. So everything is tightly sealed up in your plumbing work. However, air and some of its make up constitute gases, are removed, dissolved into the water column and/or used up by the reef and/or just removed out of solution through gas exchange from the water's surface in the tank. What takes its place? Water, and the tiny remaining amount of air the skimmer had when the recirculation we set on. I believe the recirculating method is a meme, and those who have it set up, don't have it plumbed tightly or may not have it truly set up as recirculating. Too many variables to truly say why their system works.

Solution -- So you remove lid or the line to the recirculating side? All the sudden, the water and bubbles in the skimmer neck die down. Harmony is restored, replace the lid, go on your way, until about 4 hours later. Back to a full skimmer cup.

I think sending the air one way is better than recirculating, though I saw no results from ether, because my skimmer was not powerful enough to work with a CO2 scrubber air draw wise.

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently added a CO2 scrubber to my protein skimmer (as some of you know) but am having some problems I am hoping someone can help me with.

So I hooked my Co2 scrubber on a recirculating line and it seems to be working, my problem is when I tune the skimmer higher (more air- gets my PH higher from what I've noticed), it always overflows over night. I'm not sure if this is being caused by the Co2 scrubber itself, or it's a super delayed reaction to the skimmer. If I leave my skimmer steady with some space for the foam head, I get to about 8.10- not where I want to be. However if I push it to the limits I get into 8.20-8.30 (but then it overflows). Anyone got some advice or help?

To explain the below picture. The days it overflowed were the days (nights) I had my skimmer turned up a bit higher to get my desired PH

Untitled.png

Hey I just replied to another post with this same issue. Happy that your set up is working for you, pH wise.. So to address the overflow issues...

I am familiar with this. I am ditching CO2 scrubbers (for now) because they did not solve my problem, but here's my experience.

Problem -- So what you are experiencing is what I believe is a vacuum that the recirculating system forms. So everything is tightly sealed up in your plumbing work. However, air and some of its make up constitute gases, are removed, dissolved into the water column and/or used up by the reef and/or just removed out of solution through gas exchange from the water's surface in the tank. What takes its place? Water, and the tiny remaining amount of air the skimmer had when the recirculation we set on. I believe the recirculating method is a meme, and those who have it set up, don't have it plumbed tightly or may not have it truly set up as recirculating. Too many variables to truly say why their system works.

Solution -- So you remove lid or the line to the recirculating side? All the sudden, the water and bubbles in the skimmer neck die down. Harmony is restored, replace the lid, go on your way, until about 4 hours later. Back to a full skimmer cup.

I think sending the air one way is better than recirculating, though I saw no results from ether, because my skimmer was not powerful enough to work with a CO2 scrubber air draw wise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back