Skimmer/Co2 Scrubber tuning/Overflow

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently added a CO2 scrubber to my protein skimmer (as some of you know) but am having some problems I am hoping someone can help me with.

So I hooked my Co2 scrubber on a recirculating line and it seems to be working, my problem is when I tune the skimmer higher (more air- gets my PH higher from what I've noticed), it always overflows over night. I'm not sure if this is being caused by the Co2 scrubber itself, or it's a super delayed reaction to the skimmer. If I leave my skimmer steady with some space for the foam head, I get to about 8.10- not where I want to be. However if I push it to the limits I get into 8.20-8.30 (but then it overflows). Anyone got some advice or help?

To explain the below picture. The days it overflowed were the days (nights) I had my skimmer turned up a bit higher to get my desired PH

Untitled.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently added a CO2 scrubber to my protein skimmer (as some of you know) but am having some problems I am hoping someone can help me with.

So I hooked my Co2 scrubber on a recirculating line and it seems to be working, my problem is when I tune the skimmer higher (gets my PH higher from what I've noticed), it always overflows over night. I'm not sure if this is being caused by the Co2 scrubber itself or what. If I leave my skimmer steady with some space for the foam head, I get to about 8.10- not where I want to be. However if I push it to the limits I get into 8.20-8.30 (but then it overflows). Anyone got some advice or help?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense - when you tune the skimmer higher, you are getting more air to flow through skimmer and also through the CO2 Scrubber. As more air flows through, more CO2 gets pulled out of the system and thus the higher pH.

I have a shutoff value on my skimmer cup that turns the off the skimmer if the cup fills up with skimmate. Another solution is to get a separate container to collect the skimmate.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oye. No change. Was empty when I went to bed.

May have to try with just a line out of the tank I guess

Attachments

• 20210526_052936.jpg
    20210526_052936.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 54

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oye. No change. Was empty when I went to bed.

May have to try with just a line out of the tank I guess
Wait a minute - there’s no skimmate in the skimmer cup - looks like just saltwater. Your skimmer is over tuned.

First things first, Tune your skimmer for normal skimming. Optimize for skimming and then wait a few days to check pH levels.

Didn’t you just tape the air holes on top of your skimmer top?

B69F32C9-4074-4AD2-B6FD-3671F1F2906F.jpeg

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute - there’s no skimmate in the skimmer cup - looks like just saltwater. Your skimmer is over tuned.

First things first, Tune your skimmer for normal skimming. Optimize for skimming and then wait a few days to check pH levels.

Didn’t you just tape the air holes on top of your skimmer top?

B69F32C9-4074-4AD2-B6FD-3671F1F2906F.jpeg

Well thats what I mean, I tune it in perfect and come out 8 hours later and it boils over. Not sure if the co2 is causing issues?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats what I mean, I tune it in perfect and come out 8 hours later and it boils over. Not sure if the co2 is causing issues?
Under tune your skimmer - bubbles should be coming to just below the skimmer cup. Don't try and tune to the just below the top of the cup.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the holes taped up you're probably causing the overflow. Take your thumb and plug the airline going into the skimmer... causes the water level to rise in the skimmer right? I think you're starving it for air. Tune the skimmer as directed by Peter and either take the line out of the skimmer cup or remove the tape and let air in.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the holes taped up you're probably causing the overflow. Take your thumb and plug the airline going into the skimmer... causes the water level to rise in the skimmer right? I think you're starving it for air. Tune the skimmer as directed by Peter and either take the line out of the skimmer cup or remove the tape and let air in.

It has been doing this even before I taped them, thats why I didnt know if the high Co2 was causing it. Just weird because no one else seems to have this issue.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been doing this even before I taped them, thats why I didnt know if the high Co2 was causing it. Just weird because no one else seems to have this issue.
I have a tank next to my furnace with a CO2 scrubber on it and don't have that problem. I don't do a recirculating setup though. Ph on that tank ranges from 7.6-7.9 without the scrubber and 8.2-8.4 with it. I just make sure there's always some RODI in the bottom of the reactor so the air remains humid.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I went home for the dog at lunch and thought about something....I had a few times where my skimmer overflowed into the media itself...is the media effected by water if it gets TOO wet instead of two tablespoons every couple days? Because I threw the media away and replaced it and look at it now.

Attachments

• Ph.png
    Ph.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 43

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you do not want to get the media wet. I use a Phosban reactor for mine and have the sponge filter below the media. I send RODI down the tube with a squirt bottle until I see it creeping up the sponge.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you do not want to get the media wet. I use a Phosban reactor for mine and have the sponge filter below the media. I send RODI down the tube with a squirt bottle until I see it creeping up the sponge.

Well I am starting to think my PH problem is when it overflowed it got all the media wet. Because now my PH is going up. I'm at 8.05 now, but will see. Wen't up almost 1.5 in like four hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What CO2 media are you using?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same one I use until I can get down to the dive shop and buy a 5g bucket. Lasts a long time (if you don't get it wet lol)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back