Skimmer dropping nutrients fast

Jshoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 11 month old 85.3 gallon with consistent weekly nitrate readings of 16 and phosphate .15

Five days ago I added a skimmer and with daily testing noticed no3 and po4 are dropping fast.

Two days ago I upped feeding fish to 3 times a day and have been including powdered plankton foods to help nutrients back in but still seeing downtrend today the levels are no3 - 11 and po4 .08

I know these numbers aren’t undesirable but I’m concerned about speed of drop and if I let continue could bottom nutrients. Hoping to address now before getting lower and looking for any suggestions what’s best course of action

Should I

• feed more?
• reduce skimmer runtime?
• add more fish? (currently 3)

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about it just stop running the skimmer. Three fish in 85 gallons is a very light bioload especially for an 11 month old tank, it seems you were doing fine without it.

OP
OP
Jshoji

Jshoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about it just stop running the skimmer. Three fish in 85 gallons is a very light bioload especially for an 11 month old tank, it seems you were doing fine without it.
A part of me enjoys seeing the amount of stuff getting pulled out but maybe I’ll just keep in the sump and run when needed.Thanks for the input

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back