Skimmer failure

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I have a Coralvue Diablo DCS Series In-Sump DCS 250 skimmer. Over the weekend, I had my GFCI breaker trip. Not connecting the pieces of the puzzle at that particular moment, yesterday I realized my skimmer was not working. I think the pump failed causing the breaker to trip. Maybe it is the power supply that failed? But I don't think as the controller is still powered.

What kind of pump would I use as a replacement if this is my issue?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VarioS 6S DC Skimmer Pump

The Reef Octopus OCTO VarioS 6S DC Skimmer Pump is the latest in variable speed flow technology and allows for refined control, enhanced performance and efficiency. The vast majority of skimmer pumps available to hobbyist are alternating current "AC" pumps (the type of power that comes out of your wall outlet). Direct current pumps have several key advantages over traditional AC pumps. Most notably, you can control the rotational speed of the motor, thus electronically control air and water flow rates into the skimmer. Now the user can have the skimmer process more or less water just by the push of a button.

Features:
  • Max flow: 528 gph. Max air: 2000 L/H (70 SCFH).
  • Replaces the Diablo 5500S Controllable RO-DC Skimmer Pump (RODC-5500S). Does not include the adapters.
  • A float switch connection, which allows you to connect a float switch (included in the box) to the controller. This is an added security feature that allows you to shut off the skimmer pump when your waste collector is full or shut off your water pump when your sump water has reached a high or low level.
  • Two different pause/feed modes that will shut off the pump for either 15 or 60 minute intervals. These come handy when you are feeding the tank or conducting regular maintenance such as a water change.
  • A 0-10v input which will allow a 3rd party controller such as Neptune System’s APEX or Reef Angel to take over the pump and tell it what to do
  • Output union size: 1.25" female PVC
  • Inlet size: 1.25" venturi
  • Dimensions: 5.11"(W) x 5.7"(L) x 4"(H)
  • Output union: 40mm
  • Voltage: DC 36V
  • Max Power Consumption: 70 watts
  • Max Flow Rate: 528gph
https://www.coralvue.com/varios-6s-controllable-skimmer-pump

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something weird happened. I went home for lunch and checked my tank (normal routine) and the skimmer is running. Very odd.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't another piece of equipment on that circuit that caused the GFCI to trip?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn't another piece of equipment on that circuit that caused the GFCI to trip?
Quite possible. Its interesting to me that the skimmer pump stopped working after the trip. I'm at a loss for what happened now that the skimmer is back up and running.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite possible. Its interesting to me that the skimmer pump stopped working after the trip. I'm at a loss for what happened now that the skimmer is back up and running.
Some of these DC pumps have thermal overload chips in them. Funny things can happen during a GFCI trip and I've seen where they either need to be off for a few hours or unplugged for 10 minutes to start working again.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, something weird happened. I went home for lunch and checked my tank (normal routine) and the skimmer is running. Very odd.
When was the last time you clean the bump (vinegar soak) and inspected the inlet for build up?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny things can happen during a GFCI trip and I've seen where they either need to be off for a few hours or unplugged for 10 minutes to start working again.
That's just it. Last night I unplugged it. This morning I plugged it back in. Went to work, at lunch it was working.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just it. Last night I unplugged it. This morning I plugged it back in. Went to work, at lunch it was working.
Ok, that is pretty crazy.

I think @143MPCo is onto something with the cleaning. Most DC motors also have feedback circuitry for rotor speed and will attempt to periodically restart when stalled. It may have eventually worked itself loose and restarted.

Motor stalls can cause some harmonic issues feeding back into the GFCI and cause them to trip. Not too common in newer GFCI's but for ones over 3 to 4 years old this is a real issue.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be too harsh, but never. Been running since 1/6/14.
Time to clean out. :D
Ok, that is pretty crazy.

I think @143MPCo is onto something with the cleaning. Most DC motors also have feedback circuitry for rotor speed and will attempt to periodically restart when stalled. It may have eventually worked itself loose and restarted.

Motor stalls can cause some harmonic issues feeding back into the GFCI and cause them to trip. Not too common in newer GFCI's but for ones over 3 to 4 years old this is a real issue.
^^^what he said.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Last night during water change wednesday, I cleaned the pump with muriatic acid. A lot of debris was removed from the pump. When reinstalled on the skimmer, it worked. For a little bit unfortunately. When going home today for lunch, there was evidence that the pump had kicked back on as my skimmer cup was full, but the skimmer wasn't operational. What now?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Last night during water change wednesday, I cleaned the pump with muriatic acid. A lot of debris was removed from the pump. When reinstalled on the skimmer, it worked. For a little bit unfortunately. When going home today for lunch, there was evidence that the pump had kicked back on as my skimmer cup was full, but the skimmer wasn't operational. What now?
Did the shaft seem to come clean and the bushings look to be in good shape?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to take out again, run down to my lfs and see what my good buddy says some time this wknd.
I think that is wise. Seems unlikely to be the motor block but I doubt you can get new bushings or a new controller for it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back