Skimmer for 24 g cube

primoleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm having trouble to pick the skimmer for my 24g cube tank.
It's gonna be a SPS tank. Many of them are way oversized.
It has to be in-sump skimmer.
So far I' considering:

1- Tunze 9004
2- Aquamaxx Ws-1
3 - IceCap K2-50
4 - Any other one I didn't mention here.

Any advice or experience to share?

Thank you! :)

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm having trouble to pick the skimmer for my 24g cube tank.
It's gonna be a SPS tank. Many of them are way oversized.
It has to be in-sump skimmer.
So far I' considering:

1- Tunze 9004
2- Aquamaxx Ws-1
3 - IceCap K2-50
4 - Any other one I didn't mention here.

Any advice or experience to share?

Thank you! :)
There are so many ways to run a system. I just shut down a 40 gallon with no skimmer and very few fish that grew SPS. My 120g is overstocked with fish and grows Chaeto in the sump under really bright light. It has 60 gallons of sump. The skimmer is rated for a heavily stocked 100 gallons.

For me, with SPS tanks, an undersized skimmer has worked well. I have friends who turn their skimmers off in the daytime to help keep maintain some nutrient levels in their tanks. SPS with no skimmer has done ok for me, but needed a little more attention than I wanted to give it.

I only use in sump skimmers. I have only tried 1 external types and I am convinced that they will always put water on my floor. I can't hide the ones that sit inside the tank and I dont like to look at them.

I can fill a sump with stuff pretty fast so I like to use one with an internal pump to save space. I am currently running Reef Octopus. The pumps have been reliable for 2 years now and the auto shut off overflow prevention is really, really nice. I have been equally happy with performance of AquaEuro, and Red Sea in the past and I can not say a lot of good things about the model I had made by Sea Side aquatics. I have never used a Tunze skimmer but they have been one of the big names in skimmers since the 90's, that is probably where I would go for a tank your size.

When I started my first reef I was in quest of the perfect skimmer. Now that I have a few reefs I believe the perfect skimmer is the one that fits in the space you have and keeps running. The brands you are looking at are made by solid companies and I am sure you will be happy with any of them.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.7%
Back