Skimmer going nuts

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nyos 120 that took me a while to dial in mainly cos it’s first tank and never used a skimmer before but it’s been running fine for a few months. Last night I dosed Red Sea ab+ turned return off and a mp40 leaving just one on and turned skimmer off, set timer for half hour then turned it all back on I didn’t check this morning but when I got home an hour ago from work I could hear a noise from the sump and my skimmer is going nuts. Does ab+ cause this? Today is my weekly water change so hoping after that the skimmer will settle down but will this happen each time I dose it?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the Skimmers foaming action is detecting smthg thats causing your "normal foam" to be "excessive foam"

If the only thing that has changed is the ab+ dose .... then the Skimmer needs to be redialed if you continue to dose

It may calm-down (days/weeks?) after continous dosing and then be dialed back up

Be GLAD your skimmer is that sensitive to changes!

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nyos 120 that took me a while to dial in mainly cos it’s first tank and never used a skimmer before but it’s been running fine for a few months. Last night I dosed Red Sea ab+ turned return off and a mp40 leaving just one on and turned skimmer off, set timer for half hour then turned it all back on I didn’t check this morning but when I got home an hour ago from work I could hear a noise from the sump and my skimmer is going nuts. Does ab+ cause this? Today is my weekly water change so hoping after that the skimmer will settle down but will this happen each time I dose it?
Its just skimming the AB+ out hence the thing going nuts.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer overflows like crazy for a few hours after I feed reef roids. I just let the drain port drain back into the sump until it is done

I don't know about ab+ specifically but it's not uncommon for certain things you add to the tank to make the skimmer overflow.

OP
OP
S

Sam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I continue to dose the skimmer should get use to it and I just need to dial it back in to get back to a good skim cos at the moment if I adjust the main tube in the nyos Fukuoka open or closed it’s over skimming and coming over the cup. The nyos 120 doesn’t have a drain prot so it’s I’ve taken the kid of the cup and just letting it overflow

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back