Skimmer Help - Specifically Bubble Magus Curve A8

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So I'm having problems with my skimmer in my first reef tank. I have a well cycled algae growing (maybe some coralline) 5x2x2 mixed reef; sump with internal skimmer and fuge. Current population: 6 fish, 4 LPS frags, 1 Mushroom frag, 2 stars, 3 emerald crabs, and a snail cleanup crew.

My skimmer has been running more or less non-stop for 4 weeks... and it is still overflowing; just going crazy. Not like a little trickle out of the top, but just frothing and foaming like crazy. The pump seems to be running fine, nice and quiet, fantastic looking bubbles.

I've read forum post after forum post about the skimmer break-in period, water height (9.5in per manuf), etc, and am really getting frustrated. :)

Regardless of where I set my intakes (this one has two), while it does raise and lower the bubble level in the chamber, it still overflows.

My next step, I guess, is to take it apart and look for anything out of the ordinary, although I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Anyway, that's my rambling... hopefully someone can provide some secret tips, or reassurance that this is normal for a while... dunno. :)

It's a DC pump - do I just dial it back?

Thanks and I look forward to your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I tried raising it up to 5-6 inches and I can get it to stop overflowing... but for reference, the first plastic disc with the larger holes that sits right on top of the pump is at or just above water level. Does that matter?

And is it common for a skimmer to be submerged in a water level that is so far from the manuf recommendation of 9.5?

(and it turns out I can't pump speed)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back