Skimmer Help

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 40B from a 27 cube. All I'm running is an AquaClear 70 with chaeto and chemi pure elite and 2 koralia 1150's that will be arriving shorty. My livestock currently only consists of two clowns, a firefish, small CUC, and lots of zoa's and a few LPS. I currently do 10% water changes weekly. In a few months I would like to start doing biweekly water changes. My question is should I get a skimmer? If so, what are the ups and downs of one? What would be a good skimmer that can fit in my AquaClear? I'm aware that zoa's like the water a little "dirty", my plan is to have my coral livestock mainly consist of zoa's as they are by far my favorite.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are at the max limit people recommend for having a skimmer or not usually anything 40 and smaller. I would keep testing phosphate and nitrates and if you can't keep up with it then add a skimmer. Also watch the tank if you see algea outbreaks than I would look into getting a skimmer. Look into a Reef octopus space saver if you are limited

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are at the max limit people recommend for having a skimmer or not usually anything 40 and smaller. I would keep testing phosphate and nitrates and if you can't keep up with it then add a skimmer. Also watch the tank if you see algea outbreaks than I would look into getting a skimmer. Look into a Reef octopus space saver if you are limited

I originally started with a 10 gallon back in July so I've been through a few upgrades. The only consistent problem I've noticed is diatoms. It's either because of two reasons, new tank syndrome or because I use well water OR a combination of both.. Nitrates stay at around 10. I have excellent coral growth and there hasn't been any other issues besides diatoms.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are usually from new sand . The diatoms are usually feeding on the silicates in the sand. Not sure but maybe silicates in the water. Not sure if possible just a guess

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are usually from new sand . The diatoms are usually feeding on the silicates in the sand. Not sure but maybe silicates in the water. Not sure if possible just a guess

It most likely is from the sand and when I upgraded to the 40B, I added another 20 lbs of sand in addition to the 20 lbs I already had. What's something that I can use to quickly and effectively remove silicates? I honestly haven't had any problems along the way so I personally don't think that I need a skimmer, which is why I wanted other peoples opinions. Instead of a skimmer, I was looking at this: Badfish Reef Systems - Products. Just to help break up surface slime. What's your opinion? Btw, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the diatoms run its course. From my reading water changes may fuel it not sure if it's true. I wouldn't stop doing them since other issues may arrive but if you see they get worse after a water change may just be normal. If you have the funds I would get a skimmer. If you need a hob skimmer I think the reef octopus bh is the best hob skimmer

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the diatoms run its course. From my reading water changes may fuel it not sure if it's true. I wouldn't stop doing them since other issues may arrive but if you see they get worse after a water change may just be normal. If you have the funds I would get a skimmer. If you need a hob skimmer I think the reef octopus bh is the best hob skimmer

I'm a college student, so I'm extremely tight on funds, which is why I wanted to know if I REALLY need a skimmer. I'll keep that option open. Thanks you for your help

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back