Skimmer issue

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned on my new IceCap K2 160 skimmer this weekend to try to get it dialed in. I played with it for about an hour and never got it to the point where it wasn't a bubble volcano. The liter skimmer cup was filling up within minutes with the gate completely open and completely closed. The only thing I could do to slow it down was to close the air intake. That only slowed the skimmer, it didn't stop it from erupting with bubbles. Also, a TON of micro bubbles escaped and went into my return pump (even after going through the "bubble filter" in my sump. There was a 1/4 inch layer of bubbles on the surface of the sump in the skimmer and return chambers (waterbox 170 sump). Anyone have any suggestions on how to tune this thing and what to do about bubbles?

Thanks!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new skimmer? Might just have to run a few days with the cup off for it build up biofilm (refeered to as "break in"), before it stops going crazy.

My last new skimmer took almost a week to "break in".

Also as others have suggested, what depth do you have it in?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it for 24 hours in a fresh water/vinegar mix to remove any residual oils/checmicals from the manufacturing/packing process then drop it in at the recommended water level (7-10") from my quick search. It should settle in and skim quicker this way.

OP
OP
K

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Thanks for the responses. It is in 8 inches of water. I was wondering if I could run it without the cup. I am going to give that a go.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Thanks for the responses. It is in 8 inches of water. I was wondering if I could run it without the cup. I am going to give that a go.

You can. I do this when I'm breaking in a skimmer or usually right after I clean it. Sometimes I will run it with the cup on and the drain plug removed so the water that overflows into the collection cup just goes back into the tank. Usually takes 1-2 days to settle down.

OP
OP
K

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on the skimmer. It has been running about 5 days without the cup on. Yesterday I switched out my filter socks for cups and the bubble volcano immediately changed. I was able to put the collection cup on and was pulling yellow/green skimmate out of the water immediately. I don't know, but I suspect, that the filter socks had something to do with it, but all is well now. The IceCap K2 skimmer is working great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back