Skimmer needed?

KillerKadoogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 35 cube running for 2 months. I am wondering if a skimmer is neede/suggested for my setup. I have a tidal 110 HOB. I have a 6 line wrasse, cleaner shrimp, 15 ble legged hermits, pistol shrimp, maroon gold stripe clown, and 2 emerald crabs. Just started coral with a frag of zoas. I'm looking to add more soon but am wondering if a skimmer would benefit the setup. I am also dosing with the reef pro a and b for alk and calcium as they were a little low. Any info/ tips would be appreciated.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might benefit from a skimmer; a skimmer does more than help remove excess nutrients from your system. It aerates the water as well and helps remove excess Co2. If you have it, stick it on- it's rarely a bad thing! :)

Have you tested your nitrate, phosphate and pH? :)

OP
OP
K

KillerKadoogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might benefit from a skimmer; a skimmer does more than help remove excess nutrients from your system. It aerates the water as well and helps remove excess Co2. If you have it, stick it on- it's rarely a bad thing! :)

Have you tested your nitrate, phosphate and pH? :)
It's a small tank so I just want to be safe and have healthy growth.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pho 0
Nitrate 4
Ph 7.8
Basis this, the biggest benefit you would have from your skimmer is to aerate your water to bring up your pH a little.

What are you using to test for phosphate? Be careful your phosphate level doesn't bottom out as it might lead cyano among other things.

OP
OP
K

KillerKadoogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basis this, the biggest benefit you would have from your skimmer is to aerate your water to bring up your pH a little.

What are you using to test for phosphate? Be careful your phosphate level doesn't bottom out as it might lead cyano among other things.
I been going to lfs they been testing every week. Literally 2 minutes away from my house. It's an API aquaspin tester. I just started dosing with the reef pro a and b within last couple days.

OP
OP
K

KillerKadoogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are you using to test for phosphate? Be careful your phosphate level doesn't bottom out as it might lead cyano among other
It's only been running a couple months is cyano par for the course? How do I prevent it from going everywhere? Whatever changes ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back