Skimmer not producing skimmate

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of sudden my skimmer is not producing any skimmate for the past weeks. I did a cleaning of the skimmer and pump but is still not working. I also did a 20% water change but still is not working out.

Hence, I decided to get a new skimmer as I'm running biopellet so skimmer performance is crucial to me.

After installing the new skimmer on my tank and still no skimmate is produced.

Can I conclude that the issue is my water and not the skimmer?

The bubble produced by the skimmer is very watery.

Anyone able to advise how can I fix this?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation recently. The skim production dropped and I noticed the water under the cup was not as ‘bubbly’ as you have said. Very watery so to speak and not ‘frothing’

i replaced it’s with a new skimmer exactly the same, a NYOS Quantum 160 and the difference was then obvious. It was either the pump or impeller.

This is assuming of course you have nutrients to skim out and your not close to zero

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation recently. The skim production dropped and I noticed the water under the cup was not as ‘bubbly’ as you have said. Very watery so to speak and not ‘frothing’

i replaced it’s with a new skimmer exactly the same, a NYOS Quantum 160 and the difference was then obvious. It was either the pump or impeller.

This is assuming of course you have nutrients to skim out and your not close to zero

But my new skimmer is not producing skimmate too. Do I have to wait for the "break-in" period?

My PO4 = 0.75 ppm & NO3 = 50 ppm and my tank is heavy bio-load.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But my new skimmer is not producing skimmate too. Do I have to wait for the "break-in" period?

My PO4 = 0.75 ppm & NO3 = 50 ppm and my tank is heavy bio-load.
Possibly yes if it’s new, it may take a few days/week to break in although these days they often work out of the box. My NYOS worked straight away.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly yes if it’s new, it may take a few days/week to break in although these days they often work out of the box. My NYOS worked straight away.

That my understanding too, it should be working shortly.

I'm using redsea RSK 900.

If is still not working after few more days, what should I do? Water change don't seem to help.

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an ATO setup? If so, make sure your source of water is not in the same chamber as the skimmer.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you auto dose any aminos into that section. when I dose aminos or any food source for that matter my skimmer instantly stops. any chance you recently added aminos on a somewhat constant dosing schedule

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity

Do you have an ATO setup? If so, make sure your source of water is not in the same chamber as the skimmer.

Yes, in the same chamber but I stop it due to overflow. Will move to another chamber.

do you auto dose any aminos into that section. when I dose aminos or any food source for that matter my skimmer instantly stops. any chance you recently added aminos on a somewhat constant dosing schedule

Nope, never dose aminos supplement.

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand skimmer? Have you tried adjusting the water level where it sits?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where would you have skimmer dumping into if not the skimmer chamber? This is not an argument, I promise, just asking if it would be better in the return pump area? im asking as well because my sump only has 2 sections, the return pump area and a large area where my drain water comes into filter socks and my skimmer in same section. I have my ATO water dump into this section and I have never noticed it affect my skimmer. I assumed it dumping into return section would not give the freshwater enough time to mix before going into display. If it is not an issue maybe I should actually move my ATO line into the return pump section?

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand skimmer? Have you tried adjusting the water level where it sits?

I'm using redsea RSK 900, the skimmer is sitting at the right water level.

where would you have skimmer dumping into if not the skimmer chamber? This is not an argument, I promise, just asking if it would be better in the return pump area? im asking as well because my sump only has 2 sections, the return pump area and a large area where my drain water comes into filter socks and my skimmer in same section. I have my ATO water dump into this section and I have never noticed it affect my skimmer. I assumed it dumping into return section would not give the freshwater enough time to mix before going into display. If it is not an issue maybe I should actually move my ATO line into the return pump section?

My advise is if you don't encounter any problem don't make any changes. Don't have to follow the book closely.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea skimmers typically take two-three weeks to break in.

If your old skimmer worked and suddenly stopped I would be looking for why it stopped. The pump, dirty, hole in airline.. Dig deeper.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea skimmers typically take two-three weeks to break in.

If your old skimmer worked and suddenly stopped I would be looking for why it stopped. The pump, dirty, hole in airline.. Dig deeper.

Wow that is longer than the typical period, will take note on this.

I did try to figure out the problem but not able to come into any conclusion.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your water is to clean from many water changes it wont have anything to skim :). Let it run for a few weeks and see what happens, maybe adjust the air or water intake a bit here and there and see if there is a difference.

Stephen Reed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your water is to clean from many water changes it wont have anything to skim :). Let it run for a few weeks and see what happens, maybe adjust the air or water intake a bit here and there and see if there is a difference.

I agree. If you just cleaned it, it may just need to be readjusted. If it’s a dc pump try speeding it up.

MGAMAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If you just cleaned it, it may just need to be readjusted. If it’s a dc pump try speeding it up.
Hi, did you figure out what was the issue because I'm having the same I replaced my Octo 150S as it stopped skimming all of a sudden also the new skimmer Deltec 1000i still not skimming for more than a month now, however I tried it in a friends sump and was perfectly skimming.
I'm going crazy and unable to figure out why skimmers not skimming in my sump.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your air venturi plugged up it would make skimmer literally to shut down or not produce skimmate. They calcify and get clogged. To OP - still doesn't explain why new skimmer is not producing skimmate. The way I've broken in a new skimmer is turn the air all the way up with the cup OFF and let it overflow into the sump. In a matter of hours/days it will settle down.

Jdgreef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry until a longer time has passed. My Redsea RSK300 is brand new and has been over skimming for a week now at the lowest recommended skimmer height. I’m hoping soon it takes a chill pill and starts creating froth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back