Skimmer not skimming to the cup?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My phosphates were really high this morning. I looked at my skimmer and the water in the skimmer that usually bubbles isn’t even reaching the top of the skimmer cup or 3/4 way. Is my skimmer broken??

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a simple answer to this actually. It can be demonstrated using a multi variable equation with nutrients, bioload, metabolic rates of bacteria, fish, coral, and all other invertebrate life, skimmer size, pump electrical supply current line flux, light sources and lux inputs, tank water turn over rate, and frequency of tank maintenance intervention events( putting hands in tank), all of these and a few more factors can be used to demonstrate that skimmer levels are likely to change over time, predictably if you are careful to measure these few inputs inside of your system before the cup overflows or water lowers in the chamber.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a simple answer to this actually. It can be demonstrated using a multi variable equation with nutrients, bioload, metabolic rates of bacteria, fish, coral, and all other invertebrate life, skimmer size, pump electrical supply current line flux, light sources and lux inputs, tank water turn over rate, and frequency of tank maintenance intervention events( putting hands in tank), all of these and a few more factors can be used to demonstrate that skimmer levels are likely to change over time, predictably if you are careful to measure these few inputs inside of your system before the cup overflows or water lowers in the chamber.

Dont forget to factor in the phase of the moon, average temperature of a cup of water left in your attic, and your astrological sign too.

;Wacky sorry, feeling pretty snarky right now.

Seriously though, have you tried making any adjustments? What skimmer? Tank size/bioload?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Dont forget to factor in the phase of the moon, average temperature of a cup of water left in your attic, and your astrological sign too.

;Wacky sorry, feeling pretty snarky right now.

Seriously though, have you tried making any adjustments? What skimmer? Tank size/bioload?
LOL

I checked it and it’s skimming now guys

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back