Skimmer off a few days. Micro bubbles again

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turned off per directions of pods. Phyto. I’m getting micro bubbles again. HoB 1.5. Will these cause any negative effects aside from being a little unsightly? Is it “breaking in” again? Tips? I tried a sponge , it backed it up and overflowed.

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
turned off per directions of pods. Phyto. I’m getting micro bubbles again. HoB 1.5. Will these cause any negative effects aside from being a little unsightly? Is it “breaking in” again? Tips? I tried a sponge , it backed it up and overflowed.
That happened with my mini skimmer... when a skimmer runs... it collects a layer of bacteria buildup and it works like grease. It is on the walls, sections, motor... and they collect the bubbles and stop them from exiting... once the skimmer stops working, the water drains out and air gets sucked in, the bacteria die away and the bubbles are free to go once you power the skimmer back up...

give it some time... just run it constantly for a couple of days... or you can dose into your tank a bottle of nitrifying bacteria (they are sold at your lfs) the skimmer will suck them up and they will get attached on the walls... this method takes away a day but your buildup should occur naturaly within 3 days

EDIT : also keep in mind that the same thing happens when you clean it... it just re-breaks in... all you need is time... you can even dose in some fat which could be food or chemicals... remember? grease... a drop of sunflower oil also helps...

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 33 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back